Find the equation of given curve in the form ##e^{3y}=f(x)##

In summary: Since this is an initial value problem, checking your solution amounts to doing two things:Verify that the point (e, 1) satisfies the equation ##e^{3y}=3x^3 \ln x-x^3-e^3 ##.Verify that for the implicit equation you found satisfies the DE ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{3x^2 \ln(x)}{e^{3y}}##.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Integration
1654985059847.png

For part (a);

$$\int e^{3y} \,dy=\int 3x^2\ln x \,dx$$$$\frac{e^{3y}}{3}=x^3\ln x-\frac{x^3}{3}+k$$$$\frac{e^{3}}{3}=e^3-\frac{e^3}{3}+k$$$$\frac{e^{3y}}{3}=x^3\ln x-\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{e^3}{3}$$$$e^{3y}=3x^3 \ln x-x^3-e^3$$

You may check my working...i do not have the solution.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: See attached
Relevant Equations:: Integration

View attachment 302689
For part (a);

$$\int e^{3y} \,dy=\int 3x^2\ln x \,dx$$$$\frac{e^{3y}}{3}=x^3\ln x-\frac{x^3}{3}+k$$$$\frac{e^{3}}{3}=e^3-\frac{e^3}{3}+k$$$$\frac{e^{3y}}{3}=x^3\ln x-\frac{x^3}{3}-\frac{e^3}{3}$$$$e^{3y}=3x^3 \ln x-x^3-e^3$$

You may check my working...i do not have the solution.
You can check this for yourself, something you should always do when you solve differential equations. Since this is an initial value problem, checking your solution amounts to doing two things:
  1. Verify that the point (e, 1) satisfies the equation ##e^{3y}=3x^3 \ln x-x^3-e^3 ##.
  2. Verify that for the implicit equation you found satisfies the DE ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{3x^2 \ln(x)}{e^{3y}}##.

Likes PeroK, Delta2 and chwala
I find your work correct. Only thing you could add more detailed steps is in the passage from first to second line, but yes ok it is just one integration by parts.

Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
You can check this for yourself, something you should always do when you solve differential equations. Since this is an initial value problem, checking your solution amounts to doing two things:
  1. Verify that the point (e, 1) satisfies the equation ##e^{3y}=3x^3 \ln x-x^3-e^3 ##.
  2. Verify that for the implicit equation you found satisfies the DE ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{3x^2 \ln(x)}{e^{3y}}##.
Thanks @Mark44 ...1. ##e^3=3e^3-e^3-e^3## (thus satisfied).

##3e^{3y}y'=9x^2\ln x +3x^2-3x^2##

##⇒3e^{3y}y'=9x^2\ln x##

##y'=\dfrac{9x^2\ln x}{3e^{3y}}=\dfrac{3x^2\ln x}{e^{3y}}##

Something I've said to many of my students when I taught classes on differential equations. I said it in a previous post here, but it bears repeating.
Mark44 said:
You can check this for yourself, something you should always do when you solve differential equations.

Likes chwala

1. What is the purpose of finding the equation of a given curve in the form ##e^{3y}=f(x)##?

Finding the equation of a given curve in this form allows us to represent the relationship between the independent variable, x, and the dependent variable, y, in a simplified and more easily solvable form.

2. How do you find the equation of a given curve in the form ##e^{3y}=f(x)##?

To find the equation, we first need to isolate the exponential term by taking the natural logarithm (ln) of both sides. This will give us an equation in the form of y = g(x), where g(x) is some function of x. We can then solve for y to get the equation in the form of y = f(x).

3. Can any curve be represented in the form ##e^{3y}=f(x)##?

Yes, any curve can be represented in this form as long as it is continuous and has a one-to-one relationship between x and y. However, the specific function f(x) may vary depending on the curve.

4. How does the value of the constant 3 affect the curve in the equation ##e^{3y}=f(x)##?

The constant 3 affects the curve by changing the rate of change of y with respect to x. A larger value of 3 will result in a steeper curve, while a smaller value will result in a flatter curve.

5. Are there any limitations to using the form ##e^{3y}=f(x)## to represent a curve?

One limitation is that this form cannot represent curves that have an exponential relationship between x and y, such as y = 2^x. Additionally, it may not be applicable to curves with more complex relationships between x and y.