Find the force between two wires

In summary, the textbook states that the Lorentz force is maximized when the current and the magnetic field vector are in the same direction, and it is zero when they are perpendicular.
zade70

Homework Statement

Two rectilinear wires with length 100 m have the intensity 2 A. The wires in are perpendicular directions with distance 5 meters from each-other. Find the force they interact.

Homework Equations

F=(I1*I2*μ0*l)/(2*pi*d)

The Attempt at a Solution

F=(2*2*4*pi*10^-7*1)/(2*3.14*5)=1.6*10^-7
The solution in my book is 0 N.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the direction of the magnetic fields and the direction of the currents...

BvU said:
Check the direction of the magnetic fields and the direction of the currents...
I think the currents are perpendicular with each other and so are the vectors of magnetic induction.

zade70 said:
I think the currents are perpendicular with each other and so are the vectors of magnetic induction.
Yep. So what force would that generate?

berkeman said:
Yep. So what force would that generate?
I can't find an argument for that.

zade70 said:
I can't find an argument for that.
Okay, so I'm getting the impression that you have not been exposed to the vector relationship between the current in a wire and the B-field that circulates around it, is that right? Also, have you learned how to calculate the vector Lorentz Force?

berkeman said:
Okay, so I'm getting the impression that you have not been exposed to the vector relationship between the current in a wire and the B-field that circulates around it, is that right? Also, have you learned how to calculate the vector Lorentz Force?
I don't know what the Lorentz Force is. I know that F=B(induction)*l(length)*I(intensity)*sin alpha. I also know that the force is perpendicular with current and induction

zade70 said:
I don't know what the Lorentz Force is. I know that F=B(induction)*l(length)*I(intensity)*sin alpha
Do they have any diagrams in your textbook that show a current carrying wire and the B-field circling around the wire? Do they discuss and show the "Right Hand Rule" for the direction of the B-field? I'm just trying to get a feel for how the book wants you to know how to answer this question...

berkeman said:
Do they have any diagrams in your textbook that show a current carrying wire and the B-field circling around the wire? Do they discuss and show the "Right Hand Rule" for the direction of the B-field? I'm just trying to get a feel for how the book wants you to know how to answer this question...
Yes. I have learned the Right Hand Rule. Actually I am doing some problems that are not from the book I'm studying and I don't know which is appropriate for me to do with the knowledge I have so far.

zade70 said:
Yes. I have learned the Right Hand Rule. Actually I am doing some problems that are not from the book I'm studying and I don't know which is appropriate for me to do with the knowledge I have so far.
Ah, that might explain it. Yeah, just using the force formula for parallel wires will not work for perpendicular wires.

The B-field for a current carrying wire looks like this:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magcur.html#c1
magcur.gif

And the Lorentz Force is written as the cross product of two vectors: F = qv X B Where F is the force vector, v is the velocity vector of a charge, and B is the magnetic field vector. Vectors have both a Magnitude and a Direction.

The vector cross product can be simplified if you are not familiar with it, so the Lorentz force can be re-written as magnitudes only F = qvB sin(θ), where θ is the angle between the velocity vector v and the magnetic field vector B. So the result of the cross product is maximized when v and B are in the same (or opposite) direction, and it is zero when they are perpendicular.

Does that help some? You can do more reading about this at Hyperphysics or Wikipedia. :smile:

Edit -- not sure why the image is not displaying correctly, but you can click on the link to see it.

Likes zade70

1. What is the formula for finding the force between two wires?

The formula for finding the force between two wires is F = (μ0*I1*I2*L)/(2π*d), where μ0 is the permeability constant, I1 and I2 are the currents in the wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

2. How do you calculate the distance between the two wires?

The distance between the two wires can be calculated by measuring the shortest distance between the two wires, or by using the Pythagorean theorem if the wires are not parallel.

3. What is the direction of the force between two wires?

The force between two wires is attractive if the currents in the wires are in the same direction, and repulsive if the currents are in opposite directions. The direction of the force can be determined using the right-hand rule.

4. Can the force between two wires be negative?

Yes, the force between two wires can be negative if the currents are in opposite directions, resulting in a repulsive force. However, the magnitude of the force will still be positive.

5. How does the force between two wires change with distance?

The force between two wires is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa. This relationship follows the inverse square law.