1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the force on a conveyor belt

1. Apr 14, 2014 #1

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Sand is being poured onto a conveyor belt at the rate of 2kgs-1. Find the force required to move the belt at an acceleration of 3ms-2. Given the sand is not dumped off the belt at any point and the mass of the conveyor is negligible.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma=dP/dt
    F-ma+v(dm/dt)=0
    Conservation of momentum (:uhh:)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm really stuck. Have I considered the correct equations? dm/dt and dv/dt are given. With only these two I can't find a place to start. Or maybe I'm missing something simple and common which makes this opaque for me. Thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2014 #2

maajdl

Gold Member

F=ma only if m is constant.
    The general equation is F=dp/dt .

4. Apr 14, 2014 #3

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

I think this is a varying force, determined by the mass on the belt at the instant and the instantaneous velocity, as is obvious from F=m[dv/dt]+v[dm/dt]. How can there be a specific value as an answer for this question?
    [Edit:]I'm starting to think the problem is wrong. Here are the options given:
    A]6N
    B]38N
    c]zero
    D]1.5N

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  5. Apr 14, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with your thoughts. The force is not constant and the given answers are in error.

However, there is still an answer to the question.
    Hint: how about dF/dt?

6. Apr 15, 2014 #5

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Thanks. That would mean d2P/dt2 which gives me.. 2(dm/dt)(dv/dt) [because acceleration is constant and dm/dt is constant]that would be 12N. But it's not given in the options. I think they were meaning velocity of 3ms-1 instead of accel. If it was so, then I would get F=m(dv/dt)+v(dm/dt)=v(dm/dt)=3*2=6N. Right?

7. Apr 15, 2014 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, the problem clearly stated an "acceleration of 3m/s^2" so I don't think they meant 3 m/s velocity. (If they did mean 3 m/s the answer would be F=6N as you say.)

In your post 3 you speculated that a time-varying force was needed. So how can you wind up with a constant force (of 12N)? Had you checked dimensions you would have caught the error immediately.

It would give you dF/dt = what you derived above, i.e. 2(dm/dt)(dv/dt) which is not F.
    So solve dF/dt = 2(dm/dt)(dv/dt) = 2a (dm/dt), what do you get for F?

Hint: you need an initial condition for the complete solution. You can for example assume that at t=0 the mass just starts to pile up on the conveyor belt.

8. Apr 15, 2014 #7

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Ah.. I get it.
    Considering [itex]\frac{dF}{dt}=2a\frac{dm}{dt}[/itex]
    [itex]dF=2a.dm[/itex]

[itex]F=2am[/itex]
    Am I right?

At t=0, m=0 so F=0.
    At t=t(say), m=2t (bcz dm=2dt), so [itex]F(t)=4at[/itex]
    That would fetch me [itex]F(t)=12t[/itex]
    (At the end of one second, the force would be 12N.)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  9. Apr 16, 2014 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Bingo! Good work.

10. Apr 16, 2014 #9

PhysicoRaj

Gold Member

Thanks a lot rude man!:smile:
    (and now for some LaTex practice..)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted