Find the force while lapping a specimen

In summary, the conversation revolves around metallographic grinding and the use of a slurry to hold the specimen against the lapping wheel. The question of whether the specimen stays in place during the process is raised, as well as the composition of the slurry. The conversation also delves into the calculation of torque exerted on the specimen during rotation and the possibility of not wanting to find the torque.
blueboo33
Homework Statement
I would like to find the force that acting on my round plate that holds my specimen. which pressed with force 100 N, to push specimen lapping with the lapping wheel at 500rpm. and while lapping the force is acting on the round plate.
Relevant Equations
if I use equation F=uN is that right or I should add anything else please help me
1574708652021.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

You show your specimen in the center of the Lapping Wheel. Does it stay there during the lapping process?

Are you using a slurry? What is it made of?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapping

1574710315062.png

Likes blueboo33
I assume you mean you are trying to find the torque. The rotation rate is not relevant.
Presumably the normal force, F= 100N, is uniformly spread across the whole area A.
Consider a small area element rdrdθ at radius r. The normal force is ##\frac 1AFrdrd\theta##, so the tangential frictional force is ##\frac 1A\mu Frdrd\theta##.
To get the torque this exerts around the rotation axis, we multiply by r: ##\frac 1A\mu Fr^2drd\theta##.
To get the total torque integrate this over the area of contact.

Likes blueboo33
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

You show your specimen in the center of the Lapping Wheel. Does it stay there during the lapping process?

Are you using a slurry? What is it made of?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapping

View attachment 253314
Thank you for replying to me.:biggrin:
No, it's the metallographic grinding.
the specimen held against the disk wheel.
the specimen made from resin.

1574732376340.png

(https://www.kemet.co.uk/blog/metallography/metallographic-polishing-and-grinding)
but I will use the holder to hold instead hands I just wonder the force that acting on the holder.
and its the bearing force right.
1574732355873.png

(https://www.metallographic.com/Metallographic-Equipment/Metallography-Single-vs-Central-Force.html)

haruspex said:
I assume you mean you are trying to find the torque. The rotation rate is not relevant.
Presumably the normal force, F= 100N, is uniformly spread across the whole area A.
Consider a small area element rdrdθ at radius r. The normal force is ##\frac 1AFrdrd\theta##, so the tangential frictional force is ##\frac 1A\mu Frdrd\theta##.
To get the torque this exerts around the rotation axis, we multiply by r: ##\frac 1A\mu Fr^2drd\theta##.
To get the total torque integrate this over the area of contact.
thank you for replying to me :biggrin:

blueboo33 said:
thank you for replying to me :biggrin:
If I don't want to find the torque. the specimen, not spin. what should I do :cry:

blueboo33 said:
If I don't want to find the torque. the specimen, not spin. what should I do :cry:
I don’t understand. If not the torque, what?

1. What is the purpose of finding the force while lapping a specimen?

The purpose of finding the force while lapping a specimen is to determine the amount of pressure or force needed to achieve the desired surface finish on the specimen.

2. How is the force while lapping a specimen measured?

The force while lapping a specimen is typically measured using a dynamometer or force gauge. This device measures the amount of force being applied to the specimen during the lapping process.

3. What factors can affect the force while lapping a specimen?

There are several factors that can affect the force while lapping a specimen, including the type of lapping machine being used, the type and size of the abrasive particles, the type of lubricant or slurry being used, and the speed and direction of the lapping motion.

4. How can the force while lapping a specimen be optimized?

The force while lapping a specimen can be optimized by adjusting the variables mentioned above, such as the type of lapping machine, abrasive particles, lubricant, and lapping motion. It is also important to carefully monitor and control the pressure being applied to the specimen to achieve the desired surface finish.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when finding the force while lapping a specimen?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate safety gear, such as gloves and eye protection, when lapping a specimen. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines provided by the lapping machine manufacturer and to use caution when handling abrasive particles and chemicals used in the lapping process.