Deriving the magnetic moment of a specimen in a given magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
1v1Dota2RightMeow
Messages
75
Reaction score
7

Homework Statement


I'm working on a problem that says that
>If $\varepsilon_{\pm}=\mp (\mu \mu_0 H + k \theta \frac{M}{\mu N} )$ is the energy of the atom of a specimen that can orient itself either parallel or antiparallel in a magnetic field, show that $ \frac{M}{\mu N}= tanh(\frac{1}{kT}( \mu \mu_0 H + k \theta \frac{M}{\mu N}))$.

I'm not really sure how to make the 2 equal.

Homework Equations


$M=\mu Ntanh(x)$
$x=\frac{\mu B}{kT}$

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried setting $\frac{\mu B}{kT}= \frac{1}{kT}(\mu \mu_0 H + k\theta \frac{M}{\mu N})$ but it ended up with $\muB=0$ which can't be true.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This is just reformatting for you.
1v1Dota2RightMeow said:

Homework Statement


I'm working on a problem that says that
> If ##\varepsilon_{\pm}=\mp (\mu \mu_0 H + k \theta \frac{M}{\mu N} )## is the energy of the atom of a specimen that can orient itself either parallel or antiparallel in a magnetic field, show that ## \frac{M}{\mu N}= tanh(\frac{1}{kT}( \mu \mu_0 H + k \theta \frac{M}{\mu N}))##.

I'm not really sure how to make the 2 equal.

Homework Equations


##M=\mu Ntanh(x)##
##x=\frac{\mu B}{kT}##

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried setting ##\frac{\mu B}{kT}= \frac{1}{kT}(\mu \mu_0 H + k\theta \frac{M}{\mu N})## but it ended up with ## \mu B=0## which can't be true.
 
MisterX said:
This is just reformatting for you.

How do I format my questions like that?