Find the friction force impeding its motion.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 15.0 kg box on a 32 degree incline and the determination of the friction force and coefficient of kinetic friction. The speaker is unsure of how to solve the problem and seeks help. The solution is provided in the form of an equation given by the speaker's teacher.
nickrace09
Ok, our teacher is pretty much insane and doesn't teach anything at all. I'm sure this problem is incredibly simple, but I'm just not sure how to do it.

Original Problem: A 15.0 kg box is released on a 32 degree incline and accelerates down the incline at .30m/s/s. Find the friction force impeding its motion. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

What I Did: I found Normal Force to be 127 N with Wcos(theta) but I don't know where to go from there. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
nickrace09 said:
Ok, our teacher is pretty much insane and doesn't teach anything at all. I'm sure this problem is incredibly simple, but I'm just not sure how to do it.

Original Problem: A 15.0 kg box is released on a 32 degree incline and accelerates down the incline at .30m/s/s. Find the friction force impeding its motion. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

What I Did: I found Normal Force to be 127 N with Wcos(theta) but I don't know where to go from there. Any help would be much appreciated.

my teacher doesn't teach us anything either...except this ma=mgsin(theta)-umgcos(theta) then you can use that to solve for coefficient of kinetic friction and friction force. I think.

thanks dude that works

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact.

2. How is friction measured?

Friction can be measured using a device called a friction force sensor, which measures the amount of force required to overcome the friction between two surfaces.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by the type of surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can impede or slow down motion by counteracting the applied force and reducing the speed of an object.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces to reduce the roughness and allow for smoother movement.