Friction force on an inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves a body of mass 8 kg starting at position A with a speed of 6 m/s and reaching position B with a speed of 12 m/s. The incline of the ramp is 30 degrees and the height is 12 meters. The coefficient of static friction is not applicable since the body is sliding and not at the point of sliding. A diagram and free-body diagram can aid in solving the problem.
PhysicsIsKillingMe

Homework Statement

A speed of a body of mass 8 kg is 6 m/s in position A. By the time it gets to B, the speed is measured to be 12 m/s. What is the frictional force opposing the motion?

The incline is 30 degrees, the height of the ramp is 12 meters. Position A is at the top of the ramp, position B is at the bottom.

Homework Equations

[/B]
The coefficient of static friction: µ = tan 30°

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
At first I tried to find the length of the ramp, let it be x.

Sin 30° = 12/X
X = 12/Sin 30°
X = 24 meters

After that I tried to find the coefficient of static friction, which turned out to be tan 1/2. After that I got lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsIsKillingMe said:

Homework Equations

This calculation would imply that the body doesn't accelerate (even doesn't move, since you call it static friction). But the (modified) equation you used to calculate it will be helpful to solve the problem.

PhysicsIsKillingMe said:
After that I tried to find the coefficient of static friction, which turned out to be tan 1/2. After that I got lost.

So that's obviously not true.

PhysicsIsKillingMe said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
At first I tried to find the length of the ramp, let it be x.

Sin 30° = 12/X
X = 12/Sin 30°
X = 24 meters

That's a good start, but to develop the solution I suggest to use the symbols and plug in the numbers only in the end.

How did you want to calculate the coefficent of static friction? Could you write down the formula?

PhysicsIsKillingMe said:
Where are you getting that from? It looks like you are taking it from a quite different scenario, one in which a body is on the point of sliding down a 30° slope.
It certainly is not true here.

A diagram, followed by a free-body diagram is always a good place to start. As post #3 points out, you are not looking at static friction at all. The body IS sliding.

1. What is friction force on an inclined plane?

The friction force on an inclined plane is the force that opposes the motion of an object as it slides or rolls down the plane due to the roughness of the surface.

2. How is friction force on an inclined plane calculated?

The friction force on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the friction force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the friction force on an inclined plane?

The factors that affect the friction force on an inclined plane include the coefficient of friction, the normal force, the angle of the incline, and the weight of the object.

4. How does the angle of the incline affect the friction force on an inclined plane?

The angle of the incline directly affects the friction force on an inclined plane. As the angle increases, the friction force also increases, making it harder for an object to slide or roll down the plane.

5. Can the friction force on an inclined plane ever be greater than the weight of the object?

No, the friction force on an inclined plane can never be greater than the weight of the object. If the friction force were to exceed the weight, the object would not be able to move down the plane at all.