Find the general solution of dX/dt = AX(t) for the given 3x3 matrix A.

I'm sorry, I am not able to reply to questions or provide explanations. My function is solely to summarize content. Is there anything else I can assist you with?
glacier302

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of dX/dt = AX(t) with the initial condition X(0) = (a1,a2,a3), where A = [0 1 0, 0 0 1, -1 1 1]. (Here, a comma signifies the end of a row).

Homework Equations

The exponential of A is e^A = ∑A^k/k! from k = 0 to k = ∞.
The solution of dX/dt = AX(t) is given by X(t) = e^(tA)*X(0).

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the first thing I have to is either find the diagonal matrix similar to A if A is diagonalizable, or a Jordan form of A (which is an upper triangular matrix) if A is not diagonalizable. Since the only eigenvalues of
A are -1 and 1 and the dimensions of both eigenspaces are 1, A is not diagonalizable. So I find the Jordan form of A: (Q^-1)AQ = [-1 0 0, 0 1 1, 0 0 1] where Q = [1 1 0, -1 1 1, 1 1 2]and Q^-1 = [1/4 -1/2 1/4,
3/4 1/2 -1/4, -1/2 0 1/2].

Now I'm stuck. I know how to find the solution if A is diagonalizable, because then we have
(Q^-1)AQ = B for some diagonal matrix B so A = QB(Q^-1) and e^tA = Q(e^tB)(Q^-1), and since B is diagonal e^tB is easy to calculate. But how do I calculate e^tB if B is only a Jordan matrix (hence upper triangular), not diagonal?

Any help would be much appreciated : )

Physics news on Phys.org
I, personally, wouldn't use the exponential form.

Your equation is of the form dX/dt= AX and there exist a matrix, p, such that
[tex]p^{-1}Ap= \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Since p is a constant matrix we can multiply both sides of the equation by [itex]p^{-1}[/itex] to get [tex]d(p^{-1}X)/dt= p^{-1}AX= p^{-1}A(pp^{-1})X= (p^{-1}Ap)(p^{-1}X)[/tex]. Now, if we let [itex]Y= p^{-1}X[/itex], that becomes
[tex]\frac{d\begin{bmatrix}y_1\\ y_2\\ y_3\end{bmatrix}}{dt}= \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}y_1 \\ y_2 \\ y_3\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
which can be written as the three equations
[tex]\frac{dy_1}{dt}= -y_1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy_2}{dt}= y_2+ y_3[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy_3}{dt}= y_3[/tex]

The first and third equations are easy to solve and, once you know [itex]y_3[/itex] the second equation is easy to solve. Of course, once you have found Y, X= pY.

But, yes, you could do it by finding a matrix exponential. Use the Taylor's series:
[tex]e^{Bt}= I+ Bt+ (B/2)t^2+ (B/6)t^3+ ...[/tex]
Now, look at the powers of B:
[tex]B^2= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]B^3= \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 3 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]B^4= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 4\\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
etc. Get the idea?

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help. I see now that using matrix exponentials is not the easiest way to solve this problem.

Thanks again! : )

But using the eigenvalues and eigenvectors is!

And the matrix exponential is not all that difficult. As I tried to indicate, for
[tex]B= \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]B^n= \begin{bmatrix}(-1)^n & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & n \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

So
[tex](Bt)^n= \begin{bmatrix}(-t)^n & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & t^n & nt^n \\ 0 & 0 & t^n\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{(Bt)^n}{n!}= \begin{bmatrix}\frac{(-t)^n}{n!} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{t^n}{n!} & \frac{nt^n}{n!} \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{t^n}{n!}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
[tex]= \begin{bmatrix}\frac{(-t)^n}{n!} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \frac{t^n}{n!} & \frac{t^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}t \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{t^n}{n!}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

so that
[tex]e^{Bt}= \sum \frac{(BT)^n}{n!}= \begin{bmatrix}\sum\frac{(-t)^n}{n!} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \sum\frac{t^n}{n!} & \sum\frac{t^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}t \\ 0 & 0 & \sum\frac{t^n}{n!}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Note that we can take a factor of t out of that "odd" sum and that
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{t^{n-1}}{(n-1)!}[/tex]
is the same as
[tex]\sum_{i= 0}^\infty \frac{t^i}{i!}= e^t[/tex]
by taking i= n-1.

That is,
[tex]e^{Bt}= \begin{bmatrix}e^{-t} & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & e^t & te^t \\ 0 & 0 & e^t\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

1. What is a general solution in the context of differential equations?

A general solution is a solution that includes all possible solutions to a given differential equation. It is typically expressed in terms of one or more arbitrary constants, and can be used to find specific solutions for different initial conditions.

2. What does the matrix A represent in the given differential equation?

The matrix A represents the coefficients of the variables in the differential equation. In this case, it is a 3x3 matrix, meaning there are 3 variables and 3 coefficients in the equation.

3. How do you find the general solution of a differential equation with a given matrix?

To find the general solution, you need to first find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix A. Then, using these eigenvalues and eigenvectors, you can construct a matrix exponential, which can be used to solve for the general solution.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the general solution using a given matrix?

Sure, let's say the given matrix A is:[1 2 00 1 30 0 2]To find the general solution, we first find the eigenvalues of A: 1, 1, and 2. Then, we find the corresponding eigenvectors: [1 0 0], [1 1 0], and [0 1 1]. Using these, we can construct the matrix exponential e^(At) = [e^t 2te^t 00 e^t 3te^t0 0 e^2t]. This matrix can then be multiplied by the initial condition vector X(0) to find the general solution for any given t.

5. Can the general solution of a differential equation with a given matrix be used to solve for specific solutions?

Yes, the general solution can be used to solve for specific solutions by substituting in specific initial conditions. This will result in a unique solution for the given differential equation.