1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the gradient of 1/mod{r-r'}

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find [tex]\nabla\left( \dfrac{1}{\left| \vec{r}-\vec{r'}\right| }\right)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution[tex]
    \left| \vec{r}-\vec{r'}\right| =\sqrt{(x-x^\prime)^2 + (y-y^\prime)^2 + (z-z^\prime)^2}[/tex]
    and so therefore the derivative of the scalar would be 0. Of course then it seems trivial. So perhaps I need to use the chain rule, but I don't know what to make my substitution for. I can't seem to escape the fact that the bottom always ends up being a scaler.

So I seem a bit stuck. Any advice on where to go onwards would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't understand how you get 0. What do you get for
    [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}((x-x^\prime)^2 + (y-y^\prime)^2 + (z-z^\prime)^2)^{-1/2}[/tex]?
    Yes, you need to use the chain rule. You can break it up as finely as you like, but a reasonable choice would be
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{\partial f^{-1/2}}{\partial f}[/tex]
    where [tex]f = (x-x^\prime)^2 + (y-y^\prime)^2 + (z-z^\prime)^2[/tex]

4. Dec 6, 2012 #3
    Thank you.

Okay, so doing that I get [tex]
    \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{1}{\left| \vec{r}-\vec{r'}\right|}\right) = \frac{x^{\prime}-x}{\sqrt{(x-x^\prime)^2 + C}^3}
    [/tex]

by treating x' as a constant.Does that seem along the right path?

5. Dec 6, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sort of. I assume C here stands for (y-y')2 + (z-z')2, but why are you choosing to represent that with C? Suggests to me you are thinking of it as a constant, and so playing a different role from the (x-x')2 part. Yes, you had treat it as a constant for the purposes of ∂/∂x, but having done that it tells you the value of the derivative at any point (x,y,z), so they should still be considered variables on an equal footing. So I would suggest representing the whole square root part using the original modulus formula involving r.
    What do you then get for the whole grad (∇) vector?

6. Dec 6, 2012 #5
    I got this:

[tex]\nabla \left(\frac{1}{\left| \vec{r}-\vec{r'}\right|}\right) = \frac{ (x^\prime-x) \vec{i} + (y^\prime-y) \vec{j} + (z^\prime-z)\vec{k}} {\sqrt{(x-x^\prime)^2 + (y-y^\prime)^2 + (z-z^\prime)^2}^3}[/tex]

by adding the x, y and z parts of the same form as above.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  7. Dec 6, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Two things wrong with that. First, I assume you meant ∇ on the left, not ∂/∂x. Secondly, you shouldn't add the three terms up. ∇ is a vector, namely (∂/∂x, ∂/∂y, ∂/∂z), so the answer should be a vector consisting of those three terms.

8. Dec 6, 2012 #7
    Yes, just typos. Corrected as above.

9. Dec 6, 2012 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Looks good.

10. Dec 6, 2012 #9
    Thank you for your assistance :).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook