Find the HCF of the numbers A and B

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving finding the highest common factor (HCF) of two numbers, A and B, where n is a natural number. The conversation includes a few examples of possible values for n and their corresponding HCFs. There is some debate about the approach to solving the problem, with one person suggesting to use the fact that any sum or difference of A and B would also be divisible by their HCF, while another suggests using Euclid's algorithm. The conversation concludes with the suggestion that there may not be enough information to solve the problem.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
kindly see attached...
Relevant Equations
hcf
Kindly see attached:

1632305252221.png

Since n belongs to the class of Natural numbers, then we may have,
if ##n=1, hcf (A,B)= hcf(15,8)=1##
## n=2, hcf(17,9)=1##
##n=8, hcf (29,15)=1##...

Therefore in my reasoning the correct solution is b. Is there a different approach to answering this question?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: kindly see attached...
Relevant Equations:: hcf

Kindly see attached:

View attachment 289497

Since n belongs to the class of Natural numbers, then we may have,
if ##n=1, hcf (A,B)= hcf(15,8)=1##
## n=2, hcf(17,9)=1##
##n=8, hcf (29,15)=1##...

Therefore in my reasoning the correct solution is b. Is there a different approach to answering this question?
Any sum or difference of A and B would also be divisible by their HCF. This gives the answer in two lines.

Likes mathwonk
haruspex said:
Any sum or difference of A and B would also be divisible by their HCF. This gives the answer in two lines.
is that a general rule or one that works for this problem?
if ##n=1##, sum is ##23##, difference is ##7##... hcf##=1##

chwala said:
is that a general rule or one that works for this problem?
if ##n=1##, sum is ##23##, difference is ##7##... hcf##=1##
But that's just n=1. Try it for unknown n.

haruspex said:
But that's just n=1. Try it for unknown n.
That was my first approach yesterday and i told myself that could not be the right approach, as they have indicated that we have to have ##n##, (its a condition )...i guess you want me to solve the simultaneous and eliminate ##n## from the picture.
and i am really not getting what you want me to do here, you are saying if i have two numbers say ##20## and ##25## being our ##A## and ##B##, then,
##25+20=45## clearly ##45## is divisible by the hcf value which is ##=5## in this case. Also,
##25-20 = 5## also divisible by the hcf value which is ##=5##...what exactly do you mean?
in our case, then ##A+B=3n+20##
##A-B=n+6##...then?

Last edited:
chwala said:
in our case, then ##A+B=3n+20##
Try A-B.

I am trying to understand your view, try and do what haruspex? Substitute for ##n?##

chwala said:
I am trying to understand your view, try and do what haruspex? Substitute for ##n?##
You tried A+B, which gave 3n+20. Try A-B instead.

The important fact, easy to prove, is that if c divides b and a then c divides a+b, a-b, a+2b, a-2b, 2a+b...

haruspex said:
You tried A+B, which gave 3n+20. Try A-B instead.

The important fact, easy to prove, is that if c divides b and a then c divides a+b, a-b, a+2b, a-2b, 2a+b...
In post ##5##, I had shown that ##A-B=n+6##...

chwala said:
In post ##5##, I had shown that ##A-B=n+6##...
Sorry, missed that.
So what is the HCF of n+6 and n+7? If it still isn't clicking, take another difference to eliminate n.

Likes chwala
The hcf is just equal to ##1##.

Likes SammyS
You can also check when A,B are odd, even.
or
B is also ℕ - {1,2,3,4,5,6,7}. The HCF is 1.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
haruspex is using a version of the most important tool that exists for finding the HCF, called the euclidean algorithm. it is well worth learning. It occurs as Proposition 2, in Book VII of Euclid. In particular it works not just on this problem, but on essentially all such problems.

Howvever your method is also correct for this particular problem. Namely, if it is possible to find the HCF without knowing n, then the answer for any particular value of n must be the answer. Hence using just n=1 is sufficient. This also gives the answer in one or two lines, assuming the problem is correctly posed.

Likes chwala
mathwonk said:
assuming the problem is correctly posed.
It’s a strange problem. I cannot tell what they are trying to teach. In my day they would have called this a new math problem. Maybe they wanted the OP to apply Euclid’s algorithm, but it does not look like the OP was taught that.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
haruspex is using a version of the most important tool that exists for finding the HCF, called the euclidean algorithm. it is well worth learning. It occurs as Proposition 2, in Book VII of Euclid. In particular it works not just on this problem, but on essentially all such problems.

Howvever your method is also correct for this particular problem. Namely, if it is possible to find the HCF without knowing n, then the answer for any particular value of n must be the answer. Hence using just n=1 is sufficient. This also gives the answer in one or two lines, assuming the problem is correctly posed.
Thanks man! am pretty conversant with the Euclidean algorithm though... will probably try and re look at this from that perspective. cheers. Bingo

mathwonk said:
assuming the problem is correctly posed.
Yes, it ought to offer the option "not enough information".

1. What is the HCF of two numbers?

The HCF (Highest Common Factor) of two numbers is the largest positive integer that divides both numbers without leaving any remainder.

2. How do you find the HCF of two numbers?

To find the HCF of two numbers, you can use the following methods:

• Prime Factorization: Write both numbers as a product of their prime factors and then find the common prime factors. The product of these common prime factors will be the HCF.
  • Euclidean Algorithm: Divide the larger number by the smaller number. Then divide the smaller number by the remainder. Continue this process until the remainder is 0. The last non-zero remainder will be the HCF.

3. What is the difference between HCF and LCM?

HCF (Highest Common Factor) is the largest positive integer that divides both numbers without leaving any remainder. LCM (Lowest Common Multiple) is the smallest positive integer that is a multiple of both numbers.

4. Can the HCF of two numbers be 1?

Yes, the HCF of two numbers can be 1. This means that the two numbers do not have any common factors other than 1.

5. Why is finding the HCF important?

Finding the HCF is important in many mathematical calculations, such as simplifying fractions, finding equivalent fractions, and solving word problems. It also helps in reducing large numbers to their simplest form.