Find the hydrostatic force exerted on a sphere

In summary, the question asks for the resultant hydrostatic pressure force on the bottom half of a spherical vessel filled with water of weight W. After discussing the problem and providing a hint, the solution is found by calculating the weight of an infinitesimally thin column of water and finding the component normal to the surface of the sphere, then integrating over rho and phi. The final answer is \frac{3}{8}W.
suda

Homework Statement

a spherical vessel is made by fitting together identical hemispherical halves across a horizontal plane.It is filled completely with water of weight W.What is the the resultant hydrostatic pressure force on the bottom half of the vessel?

anyone please help me how to work this problem..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a trick question to me. If I say any more I will give it away... but ok. hint: How much of the weight of the water W is being held up by the lower half of the sphere?

After my post yesterday I realized that there is probably more to it since pressure is the force normal to surface. suda, if you still care about this post, send me a PM and I will help further.

i m unable to work that.i can't even get a start.please help.

Ok. I'm going to take a stab at this.

Essentially what we will do is calculate the weight of an infinitesimally thin column of water, then find the component of that force normal to the surface of the sphere, then integrate. It will be a little difficult to see without a diagram but here goes.

The volume of a sphere in cylindrical coordinates is

[tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}{\int_0^R{\int_{-\sqrt{R^2-\rho^2}}^{+\sqrt{R^2-\rho^2}}{\rho dz d\rho d\phi}}}[/tex]

If we drop the rho and phi integration and perform just the z integration we get

[tex]2\rho \sqrt{R^2-\rho^2} d\rho d\phi[/tex]

This is the volume of a column that lies at angle phi and runs from [tex]z=-\sqrt{R^2-\rho^2}[/tex] to [tex]z=+\sqrt{R^2-\rho^2}[/tex]

(phi doesn't appear in the expression because of the symmetry)

Multiplying by [tex]3W/4\pi R^3[/tex], the weight-density of the water, we get

[tex]\frac{3W}{2\pi R^3}\rho \sqrt{R^2-\rho^2} d\rho d\phi[/tex]

This is the weight of that column of water. If we performed the integration over rho and phi of this quantity as is, we would get W, the weight of the water in the sphere. The force of this infinitesimal column weight is in the vertical direction. What we want to do is find the component normal to the surface of the sphere and integrate that over rho and phi. I'll let you take it from here. I got [tex]\frac{3}{8}W[/tex]. Do you know if that is the answer?

1. What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the force exerted by a fluid on an object that is submerged or partially submerged in the fluid. It is a result of the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the object.

2. How do you calculate the hydrostatic force on a sphere?

To calculate the hydrostatic force on a sphere, you can use the formula F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the sphere in the fluid, and A is the surface area of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the hydrostatic force on a sphere?

The hydrostatic force on a sphere is affected by the density of the fluid, the depth of the sphere in the fluid, and the surface area of the sphere. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the object can also affect the hydrostatic force.

4. What is the unit of measurement for hydrostatic force?

The unit of measurement for hydrostatic force is typically Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). This is the same unit used to measure force in other contexts, such as weight.

5. How is hydrostatic force used in real-world applications?

Hydrostatic force is used in many real-world applications, such as designing and building dams, ships, and submarines. It is also used in hydraulic systems, such as in construction equipment and car brakes. Understanding hydrostatic force is important in ensuring the safety and stability of these structures and systems.