• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Find the hydrostatic force on one end of the trough

• Thread starter Gauss177
  • Start date
I have a quiz coming up that includes this, so thanks for any help.

Homework Statement

A trough is filled with a liquid of density 840 kg/m^3. The ends of the trough are equilateral triangles with sides 8 m long and vertex at the bottom. Find the hydrostatic force on one end of the trough.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure how to do this problem except that hydrostatic force = integral of pgAd (p = pressure, g = gravitational constant in SI units, A = area, d = distance). My biggest problem is coming up with the area of the approximating strip, so please explain carefully! Thanks

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You are asked to find the pressure on the triangular end. Lets say that the trough has height h and length of the top edge of the triangle is w.

There are two ways to approach the problem (essentially the same). One way is to set up a coordinate system so that the vertex of the triangle is at (0,0) and the ends of the top are at (-w/2, h), (w/2,h). It is easy to see that the equation of the line from (0,0) to (w/2,h) is y= (2h/w)x (and, of course, the other line is y= (-2h/w)x). Solving for x, x=(w/2h)y. For any given y, then the length of the horizontal line (the width of an infinitesmal rectangle) would be (w/2h)y- (-w/2h)h= (w/h)y. The area of that infinitesmal rectangle is (w/h)ydy.

The other method is to use "similar triangles". The triangle formed by the vertex and a horizontal line at height y is, of course, similar to the triangle formed by one end of the trough. In particular, the ratio of the base of each triangle to its height is the same: x/y= (w/h) so x= (w/h)y (x here is twice the "x coordinate" above) and so the area of the infinitesmal rectangle is (w/h)ydy as before.