1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the imit of 2x + 1 - sqrt(4x^2 + 5) as x--> infinity

1. Jan 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}[/tex][tex] 2x+1-[/tex][tex]\sqrt{4x^2+5}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

i am wondering if this method that i used is correct. i get the correct answer but i ahaven't see it in the text book or on the net. am i doing something that shouldn't be done?

using the limit laws, i take out 1.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty}[/tex] 1 + [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty [/tex][tex]2x-\sqrt{4x^2+5}[/tex]

then i rationalize.
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty[/tex] 1 + [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{4x^2-4x^2-5}{2x+\sqrt{4x^2+5}}[/tex]

1 + [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} [/tex][tex]\frac{-5}{2x+x\sqrt{4+\frac{5}{x^2}}}[/tex]

1 + [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{-5}{x}}{\frac{2x}{x}+\frac{x}{x}\sqrt{4x+\frac{5}{x^2}}}[/tex]

1 + [tex]\frac{0}{4}[/tex]

i get the right answer when i do it for [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty [/tex][tex]\sqrt{9x^4-3x^2+1} - 3x^2+5[/tex] and these the only two i tried. is this method just lucky for these two or can i keep using it?

also. i seem to be getting the right limit of 1 when x approches postive infinity for [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow \infty [/tex][tex]\sqrt{9x^2+6x-5} - 3x[/tex] but i get -1 when approches negative infinity and mathematica keeps telling me its +infinity. can someone do provide me with a soloution?
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2008 #2
    I have no idea what your problem says, plz fix your latex!!!

infinity = \infty

lim as x approaches a = \lim_{x \rightarrow a}
  4. Jan 30, 2008 #3
  5. Jan 30, 2008 #4
    try pulling the x^2 out of the square root and then so how that affects the terms inside the square root as x goes to inf.
  6. Jan 30, 2008 #5
    i tried to solve it, but i keep on ending up with a zero at the bottom. does this mean that what i did is wrong or the limit is infinity whenever you end up with a zero in the denominator?
    THE INFINTY IS NEGATIVE. sorry i dont know to syntex of a negative.

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow- \infty [/tex][tex]\sqrt{9x^2+6x-5} - 3x[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow- \infty [/tex][tex]\sqrt{9x^2+6x-5} - 3x[/tex] . [tex]\frac{\sqrt{9x^2+6x-5}+3x}{\sqrt{9x^2+6x-5}+3x}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow- \infty [/tex] [tex]\frac{6x-5}{\sqrt{9x^2+6x-5}+3x}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow- \infty [/tex] [tex]\frac{6x-5}{|x|\sqrt{9+\frac{6}{x}-\frac{6}{x^2}}+3x}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow- \infty [/tex] [tex]\frac{6-\frac{5}{x}}{\frac{|x|}{x}\sqrt{9+\frac{6}{x}-\frac{6}{x^2}}+\frac{3x}{x}}[/tex]

so does this mean the what i did is wrong, or does this indicate the limit is infinity like mathematica keep telling me and what i did is the correct steps?
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  7. Jan 30, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why is [tex]|x| / x = -1[/tex] if x goes to + infinity? What is |x| if x becomes very large?
    And my Mathematica doesn't tell me it's infinity.
  8. Jan 30, 2008 #7
    ^^^ oh i forgot to do it there but its going to negative infinity.

i will fix it.

i am getting the correct answer for all positive inf questions. just neg ones i am not getting.
  9. Jan 30, 2008 #8
    [tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow- \infty[/tex][tex]\sqrt{9x^2+6x-5} - 3x[/tex]

can someone show me the proper soloution. i tried to find some explanation on the web but no help. i keep getting a zero in the denominator when i use this method.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?