1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the interval of convergence for the given power series.

1. Apr 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the interval of convergence for the given power series.
    Sum from n=1 to infinty of (x-11)^n / (n(-9)^n)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I used the ratio test and I'm getting 2<x<20, but that doesn't seem to be right. I get abs(1/9*(x-11)) < 1, which simplifies into 2<x<20. I couldn't sworn I did this problem correctly, but I'm not getting the correct answer. Any help would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is the correct interval, but don't forget you have to check the two end points separately.

4. Apr 29, 2012 #3
    Here the thing, I entered all possible compinations for the endpoints just to check my answer for the interval and they were all wrong. Just to double check it does not converge at 2 and does at 20, right?

5. Apr 29, 2012 #4
    Ok it accepts my answer now. It was probably something on my end but thanks anyways.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook