Find the interval of convergence of this power series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Fernando Rios
Messages
96
Reaction score
10
Homework Statement
Find the interval of convergence of each of the following power series; be sure to investigate
the endpoints of the interval in each case.
Relevant Equations
∑((√(x^2+1))^n 2^n/(3^n + n^3))
∑((√(x2+1))n22/(3n+n3))

We use the ratio test:
ρn = |2(3n+n3)√(x2+1)/(3n+1+(n+1)3)|

ρ = |2√(x2+1)|

ρ < 1

|2√(x2+1)| < 1

No "x" satisfies this expression, so I conclude the series doesn't converge for any "x". However the answer in the book says the series converges for |x| < √(5)/2. What am I dong wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to switch numerator and denominator in the ratio test.

Also, what you wrote down is no power series, so the question got the terminology wrong.
 
Math_QED said:
You have to switch numerator and denominator in the ratio test.

Also, what you wrote down is no power series, so the question got the terminology wrong.
I wasn't reading the instructions for this problem. Thank you for your answer.