1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the limit as x approaches infinity of (sqrt(1+3x^2))/x

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the limit as x approaches infinity of (sqrt(1+3x^2))/x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using l'hopital's rule, but it gave me 3x/(sqrt(1+3x^2)) which doesnt help me at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Re: limit

use the fact that [itex]x= \sqrt{x^2}[/itex]

4. Feb 24, 2009 #3

jgens

Gold Member

Well, I can think of a couple of ways to do this one. Probably the simplest is to note that for arbitrarily large x, 3x^2 + 1 ~ 3x^2. Another way would be to multiply and divide the equation by x and then try to find the limit.

5. Feb 24, 2009 #4

Factor out a sqrt(x^2) from the numerator.

6. Feb 24, 2009 #5

I dont believe you can just do that. Only if two things are multiplied beneath a radical can something be taken out.

Multiplying by x/x does not help either.

Hmm, perhaps you can say that as x gets arbitrarily large, its sqrt(3x^2)/x because the 1 becomes meaningless and thus the limit is sqrt(3)?

7. Feb 24, 2009 #6

jgens

Gold Member

Yes you can do that! However, multiplying and dividing by x certainly does help: Lim (x -> infinity) sqrt(1/x^2 + 3)/1.

8. Feb 24, 2009 #7

[tex]\sqrt(1+3x^2) = \sqrt(x^2(\frac{1}{x^2} + 3)) = \sqrt(x^2) \sqrt(\frac{1}{x^2} + 3)[/tex]

9. Feb 24, 2009 #8

Ah, clever. Thank you. Thats definitely how my prof would want me to do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook