1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the locations where the slope = 0

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I just had a test I can't remember exactly how the question went but it was a relatively easy differentiation problem. I can only remember my result, which was

y' = 2sinxcosx - sinx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I noticed that 2sinxcosx is also sin2x so you could rewrite it as Sin2x - Sinx

Now, to find the places where the slope is 0 i obviously just set it to 0 and solve. My problem was that I didn't know if I should go the Sin2x - Sinx route or Factor out a sine and do it like thisL

sinx(2cosx -1) = 0

cosx = 1/2

x = ∏/3 +2∏k

x = 5∏/3 + 2∏k

where k is any integer

The above one is the route I chose to take at the end. However, if I solve for sin2x - sin x = 0

I can just say, ∏k, where k is any integer? Where is my logic flawed?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

x=pi*k aren't the only solutions to sin(2x)-sin(x)=0. They are just some of them. You've found the others in your first analysis. If sin(x)*(2*cos(x)-1)=0 then either sin(x)=0 or 2*cos(x)-1=0.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    Thanks for the answer though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted