Integrate: cos2x/[cos^2 (x).sin^2 (x)]-cot(x)/2

• Thread starter Tanishq Nandan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary: Images that are just of your handwritten work tend to be more difficult for others to read and may be ignored.
Tanishq Nandan

Homework Statement

Integrate: cos2x/[cos^2 (x).sin^2 (x)]

Homework Equations

[/B]
▪cos2x=1-2sin^2 (x)
▪2sinxcosx=sin2x
▪1/sinx = cosecx
▪Integration of cosec^2 (ax+b)=[-cot(ax+b)]/a
▪Integration of sec^2 (x)=tanx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my solution,but the answer is not matching with the correct answer (written in the last line).I wrote the given answer as well coz it may be a manipulation of my answer,which i can't see(doubtful,but not impossible).If anyone could just point out the line where I'm going wrong..

Attachments

• 20170615_155635-1.jpg
    20170615_155635-1.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 340
Physics news on Phys.org
Tanishq Nandan said:
which i can't see(doubtful,but not impossible)
An easy check is to differentiate your result !

And you could convert ##\cot 2x ## to ##\ \ \displaystyle {\cot^2 x -1 \over 2\cot x} ## :smile:

BvU said:
An easy check is to differentiate your result !
Of course,why didn't I think of that?
Thanks!

Tanishq Nandan said:

Homework Statement

Integrate: cos2x/[cos^2 (x).sin^2 (x)]

Homework Equations

[/B]
▪cos2x=1-2sin^2 (x)
▪2sinxcosx=sin2x
▪1/sinx = cosecx
▪Integration of cosec^2 (ax+b)=[-cot(ax+b)]/a
▪Integration of sec^2 (x)=tanx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached my solution,but the answer is not matching with the correct answer (written in the last line).I wrote the given answer as well coz it may be a manipulation of my answer,which i can't see(doubtful,but not impossible).If anyone could just point out the line where I'm going wrong..

You are developing a bad habit, which you should stop right away if you want to continue posting to PF. Most helpers will not look at images of handwritten solutions; I, for one, will not. You may be lucky to find somebody willing to help by looking at your images, but please do not keep doing it; the PF standard is to type out your work, and it really is not very difficult. For example, you can write ##\int_a^b x/(x^2+a^2) \, dx## in plain text as int{ x/(x^2+a^2) dx, x=a..b} (or as int_{x=a..b} {x/(x^2+a^2) dx}) and that is perfectly readable. Just be careful to use parentheses, so that ##\frac{a + b}{c}## is written as (a+b)/c, NOT as a + b/c (which means ##a + \frac{b}{c}##).

Please try to reserve images for things like drawings, diagrams and/or data tables.

1. What is the purpose of integrating cos2x/[cos^2(x).sin^2(x)]-cot(x)/2?

The purpose of integrating this expression is to find the indefinite integral, which is a function that, when differentiated, gives the original expression.

2. What is the general approach to integrating this expression?

The general approach is to use trigonometric identities and substitution to simplify the expression and then apply integration techniques such as integration by parts or u-substitution.

3. Can this expression be integrated using basic integration rules?

No, this expression cannot be integrated using basic integration rules and requires the use of more advanced techniques.

4. What are the steps to integrating cos2x/[cos^2(x).sin^2(x)]-cot(x)/2?

The steps to integrating this expression include simplifying using trigonometric identities, substituting variables, applying integration techniques, and solving for the indefinite integral.

5. Is there a shortcut or trick to integrating this expression?

There is no shortcut or trick to integrating this expression, but having a strong understanding of trigonometric identities and integration techniques can make the process easier.