1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the magnitude and direction of the sum of momenta

1. Jul 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An 85 kg jogger is heading due east at a speed of 2.2 m/s. A 55 kg jogger is heading 20° north of east at a speed of 4.0 m/s. Find the magnitude and direction of the sum of momenta of the two joggers.

2. Relevant equations

The Impulse-Momentum Theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to get the components of the 2 vectors, add them, and get the answer...but I got the wrong answer apparently. Should I try again?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, try it again--that's the right method. Remember that you are adding momenta, not just velocity vectors.

This has nothing to do with the impulse-momentum theorem.

Also: Try to give your posts more descriptive titles that "Help!". :wink:

4. Jul 6, 2007 #3
    haha well obviously "help" gets a much desired response =) but i'll keep that in mind. and webassign is wrong a lot. it said to use the theorem. how would i use momenta instead?

5. Jul 6, 2007 #4
    Ok, I got it. Thanks!

6. Jul 6, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Don't worry about the getting help part--that's what the "homework help" forums are for. But if all your posts have the same title, busy homework helpers might think they've already answered your question--thus you end up getting less help than you might need.
    That's what I thought you already tried. Find the components and add them up. This is an addition of vectors problem, not an impulse-momentum problem. (Unless there is more.)

7. Jul 6, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Good! .... :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?