How Do You Calculate the Combined Momentum of Two Joggers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CaptFormal
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
CaptFormal
Messages
31
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An 81.8 kg jogger is heading due east at a speed of 1.81 m/s. A 54.4 kg jogger is heading 32.2° north of east at a speed of 3.00 m/s. Calculate the magnitude of the sum of the momenta of the two joggers.


Homework Equations


m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2'


The Attempt at a Solution


Since they want the sum of the momenta I figured it meant that I would just add up the masses and the velocities as follows:

(81.8)(1.81) + (54.4)(3.00)

However, that was not the correct answer. Also the angle is throwing me off a bit as I don't see how it could fit into this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.


CaptFormal
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram
Remember the momentum in Y (north-south) and X (east-west) is conserved.