1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the magnitude of resultant of OA, OB and OC.

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    1. Find the magnitude of resultant of OA, OB and OC ( there is an arrow sign upwards of OA, OB and OC showing these are vectors.)

untitled.JPG

(Sorry but i am not good at making computer drawings.)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to find the resultant of OA and OC and then the angle of resultant with OA but the whole thing turned out to be a mess. please help me in it.....

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please show what you tried, then we can help figure out how it is wrong.

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3
    i have cut that solution by pen..should i scan that and upload it?is that ok??

5. Jun 22, 2011 #4
    plz someone reply it...there is no need to scan and upload my solution as i know that whatver i have done is totally wrong as the angle b/w resultant of OA and OB was in points( i had to calculate it via calculator)...plz some one reply me....You might consider me fool bocz i am telling my attempt wrong bcoz of only the angle was in points.I knw it was wrong bcoz in the book, there is no question who has angle in points..So i think my attempt is incorrect.......
    plz some one reply me.......

6. Jun 22, 2011 #5
    Vector A: ri
    Vector B: rcos45i +rsin45j
    Vector C: rj

Add vectors together. Redraw. Use trig to find magnitude and direction of resultant vector

7. Jun 22, 2011 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry for not responding sooner, devvaibhav. As RTW69 suggested, you can write each vector in terms of its x and y (or "i" and "j") components. Add like components together.

8. Jun 23, 2011 #7
    @RTW69 tnx....it was hell simple..i was confused..tnx for it...
    @Redbelly98 its ok.....

thanks everyone...........

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook