1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the magnitude of the difference between the weights (temperature question)

1. Dec 1, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A solid aluminum sphere has a radius of 2.34 m and a temperature of 89.0 °C. The sphere is then completely immersed in a pool of water whose temperature is 22.3 °C. The sphere cools, while the water temperature remains nearly at 22.3 °C, because the pool is very large. The sphere is weighed in the water immediately after being submerged (before it begins to cool) and then again after cooling to 22.3 °C. Use Archimedes' principle to find the magnitude of the difference between the weights.

2. Relevant equations
    Weight of sphere in water before cooling W1 = W - ρ * g * V1 ρ = density of water
    where W = actual weight of sphere and V1 the volume before cooling
    Also, W2 = W - ρ * g * V2 Then W2 - W1 = -(V2 - V1 ) * ρ * g
    V1 = 4/3 * π * r^3 V2 = 4/3 * π * (r + Δr)^3
    Expanding (r + Δr)^3 and dropping any terms with Δr^3 or Δr^2 since these are very small
    V2 = 4/3 * π * (r^3 + 3 * r * Δr)
    V2 - V1 = 4 * π * r^2 * Δr
    Δr = k * r * ΔT where k = coefficient of linear expansion for Al and ΔT the temperature change

This gives V2 - V1 = 4 * π * r^3 * k * ΔT
    W2 - W1 = -4 * π * r^3 * k * ρ * g * ΔT

3. The attempt at a solution

i get -2420.678 and thats not right. any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to have the right idea. I did not verify your number, but the problem asks for the magnitude of the difference in weights, which should be a positive number.

Besides the sign, you appear to have a problem with your ΔV expression, but I think you fixed it. ΔV should be the area of the sphere times Δr. In one place you have just an rΔr instead of r²Δr. I think you used the correct expression in your calculation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?