Find the magnitudes of the impulse on him from the water

In summary: The force is F = m\Deltav/Deltat ... where Deltat is the time interval to reduce from V1 to 0.In summary, Henri LaMothe, known for his exciting belly-flops, would experience an impulse of 7,977.4921 N*s from the water when stopping just as he reaches the bottom. This can be found using the equation for gravitational potential energy and the principles of projectile motion.
physicsbhelp
[SOLVED] IMPULSE, i need HELP!

Homework Statement

Until he was in his seventies, Henri LaMothe excited audiences by belly-flopping from a height of 11 m into 30 cm. of water (Figure 9-49). Assuming that he stops just as he reaches the bottom of the water and estimating his mass to be 76 kg, find the magnitudes of the impulse on him from the water.

Homework Equations

Impulse = Force * Time
Ug = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

Ug = (76)(9.81)(11-0.3) = 7,977.492

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Homework Statement

Until he was in his seventies, Henri LaMothe excited audiences by belly-flopping from a height of 11 m into 30 cm. of water (Figure 9-49). Assuming that he stops just as he reaches the bottom of the water and estimating his mass to be 76 kg, find the magnitudes of the impulse on him from the water.

2. Homework Equations

Impulse = Force * Time
Ug = mgh

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Ug = (76)(9.81)(11-0.3) = 7,977.492

DO I USE PROJECTILE MOTION, and if i do, then how?

Someone Please Help Me!

ok well.. that's not the only formula... its also impulse = mv1-mv2

To solve the problem, one needs to find the velocity just as LaMothe hits the water.

Equate the change in gravitational potential energy (mgh), h = 76 m, with the change in KE = 1/2 mv2, and use that to get v at the time LaMothe impacts the water.

From that, one gets mv1. LaMothe must competely stop in 0.3 m of water, so determine the average velocity at constant deceleration. Then compute the time interval to stop by 0.3 m/(vav).

Here is a good reference - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html#mot1

Impulse - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/impulse.html#c1

If you haven't learned work energy theorem, use basic kinematic formulas such as V(final)^2=V(initial)^2-2g(deltaX).

Now, I could be wrong, but i think that's it... your v2=0, so u mV1 is the impulse.. now if u were asked to find the Fmax, or the force at any given time while its in the water, then its different.

Last edited:
also we don't have a figure; so, there could some minor chance that I didn't understand the problem completely

aq1q said:
If you haven't learned work energy theorem, use basic kinematic formulas such as V(final)^2=V(initial)^2-2g(deltaX).

Now, I could be wrong, but i think that's it... your v2=0, so u mV1 is the impulse.. now if u were asked to find the Fmax, or the force at any given time while its in the water, then its different.

He still moves a distance of 30 cm after he hits the water, so v2 wouldn't be 0.

your v2=0, so u mV1 is the impulse..
That is correct with mv1 being the momentum at contact with the water and v= 0 (mv = 0) at the bottom of the water.

Then I = m[itex]\Delta[/itex]v = m(V1-0) = mv1.

1. What is an impulse?

An impulse is a change in momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is also known as the force applied over a specific period of time.

2. How is impulse related to water?

In this context, impulse is related to water as it refers to the force that the water exerts on an object, such as a person. This force is caused by the change in momentum of the water as it comes into contact with the object.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the impulse on a person from water?

The magnitude of the impulse on a person from water can be affected by several factors, such as the speed and direction of the water, the surface area of the person in contact with the water, and the mass and velocity of the person.

4. How is the magnitude of the impulse on a person from water calculated?

The magnitude of the impulse on a person from water can be calculated using the formula I = mΔv, where I is the impulse, m is the mass of the person, and Δv is the change in velocity of the person caused by the water.

5. Why is it important to find the magnitude of the impulse on a person from water?

It is important to find the magnitude of the impulse on a person from water as it can help determine the potential danger or force experienced by the person. This information can be useful in designing safety measures or equipment for water activities.