Impulse of Cricket Homework: Find Magnitude

• Thread starter odie5533
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a cricket jumping a horizontal distance with a given initial velocity and angle. The attempt at a solution involves finding the velocity needed for the jump and using this to calculate the magnitude of the impulse of the total force on the cricket. There is confusion about the wording of the question, but the reasoning and calculations are deemed correct. A suggestion is made to include the units on the final answer and to convert the mass to kilograms for consistency with SI units.
odie5533

Homework Statement

A 20g cricket leaps through a 2.55 m horizontal distance. The initial velocity of the cricket makes an angle of 30 degress with the horizontal direction. If it takes the cricket 0.019s to leave the ground, what is the magnitude of the impulse of the total force on the cricket that gives it the speed needed for the jump?

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding the velocity needed for the jump:
[tex]V_{y} = VSin30=\frac{1}{2}V[/tex]
[tex]y = \frac{1}{2}Vt-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
Set to 0 to find when he lands:
[tex]0 = \frac{1}{2}Vt-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
[tex]t = \frac{V}{g}[/tex]

[tex]V_{x} = VCos30[/tex]
[tex]x(t) = (VCos30)t[/tex]
Set to 2.55, the horizontal distance traveled when he lands:
[tex]2.55=\frac{V^2}{g}Cos30[/tex]
[tex]V=\sqrt{\frac{2.55 g}{Cos30}} = 5.3736 m/s[/tex]

So, the inital momentum is 0, since his velocity before the jump is 0.
[tex]J = mv_{2} - mv_{1} = mv_{2} - 0 = (20 g)(5.3736 m/s) - 0 = 107.47[/tex]

I never liked impulse/momentum problems, and I was wondering if any of the above is correct. I just plugged numbers into the formulas and have no idea if I did it right =/ Also, I didn't use the time of 0.019s anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
odie5533 said:

Homework Statement

A 20g cricket leaps through a 2.55 m horizontal distance. The initial velocity of the cricket makes an angle of 30 degress with the horizontal direction. If it takes the cricket 0.019s to leave the ground, what is the magnitude of the impulse of the total force on the cricket that gives it the speed needed for the jump?
The question does not quite make sense (the last part). Are you sure it was not "what is the magnitude of the impulse and of the total force..." ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by finding the velocity needed for the jump:
[tex]V_{y} = VSin30=\frac{1}{2}V[/tex]
[tex]y = \frac{1}{2}Vt-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
Set to 0 to find when he lands:
[tex]0 = \frac{1}{2}Vt-\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]
[tex]t = \frac{V}{g}[/tex]

[tex]V_{x} = VCos30[/tex]
[tex]x(t) = (VCos30)t[/tex]
Set to 2.55, the horizontal distance traveled when he lands:
[tex]2.55=\frac{V^2}{g}Cos30[/tex]
[tex]V=\sqrt{\frac{2.55 g}{Cos30}} = 5.3736 m/s[/tex]

So, the inital momentum is 0, since his velocity before the jump is 0.
[tex]J = mv_{2} - mv_{1} = mv_{2} - 0 = (20 g)(5.3736 m/s) - 0 = 107.47[/tex]

I never liked impulse/momentum problems, and I was wondering if any of the above is correct. I just plugged numbers into the formulas and have no idea if I did it right =/ Also, I didn't use the time of 0.019s anywhere.

I did not check all the numbers but the reasoning is good. If they ask for the magnitude of the total force this is where the delta time would come up. I am pretty sure this is what they were asking.

I copied the question word for word. It took me a long time to figure out what it was asking, and I agree it makes more sense for it to be and. Ah well, my professor is notorious for typos and unanswerable questions, so this must just be another one. Thanks for the help.

odie5533 said:
I copied the question word for word. It took me a long time to figure out what it was asking, and I agree it makes more sense for it to be and. Ah well, my professor is notorious for typos and unanswerable questions, so this must just be another one. Thanks for the help.
Ok. For the impulse itself no time is required.
I just noticed: write the units on your final answer. And if you want it in SI units, you better convert the mass to kilograms.

1. What is the impulse of cricket homework?

The impulse of cricket homework refers to the amount of force and time required to complete a given task or assignment related to the sport of cricket.

2. How do you calculate the magnitude of an impulse?

The magnitude of an impulse can be calculated by multiplying the force applied by the time it is applied for. In the context of cricket, this can be measured in Newton-seconds (N·s).

3. What factors affect the magnitude of an impulse in cricket?

The magnitude of an impulse in cricket can be affected by several factors such as the speed of the ball, the weight of the ball, the angle of impact, and the strength and technique of the player.

4. Why is understanding the impulse of cricket important?

Understanding the impulse of cricket can help players improve their performance by adjusting their technique and timing to achieve a greater force and ultimately hit the ball further. It can also help coaches and trainers design effective training programs to develop players' skills in generating and controlling impulse.

5. How can the impulse of cricket be applied in other areas?

The concept of impulse can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and sports. In cricket, it can also be applied to analyze the impact of a ball on a player's body and determine the risk of injury. It can also be used to study the mechanics of a bowler's delivery and suggest ways to improve their performance.