Find the maximum of E_a when the entropy is at its maximum

Homework Statement

Show that [itex]\Gamma_T[/itex] is maximum at [itex]E_a = \frac{N_aE}{N_a+N_b}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The expression for [itex]\Gamma(E)[/itex] when [itex]N\gg 1[/itex]
[tex]\Gamma_T = C_aC_b exp \left( -\frac{E_a^2}{2N_a\mu_B^2h^2} \right) exp \left[ - \frac{(E-E_a)^2}{2N_b\mu_B^2H^2} \right][/tex]
where [itex]C_a[/itex] and [itex]C_b[/itex] are normalization constants that depends on [itex]N_a[/itex] and [itex]N_b[/itex]
In terms of the entropy:
[tex]\begin{aligned} \frac{1}{k}S_T = \frac{1}{k}(S_a+S_b) &= ln \Gamma_T \\ &= ln(C_aC_b)-\frac{1}{2(\mu_BH)^2} \left[ \frac{E_a^2}{N_a} + \frac{(E-E_a)^2}{N_b} \right]\end{aligned}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Try to find the maximum of the entropy using the quadratic terms in the square bracket:
[tex]\begin{aligned} \frac{E_a^2}{N_a} + \frac{(E-E_a)^2}{N_b} &= \frac{(N_a+N_b)E_a^2}{N_aN_b} - \frac{2EE_a}{N_b} + \frac{E^2}{N_b} \\ &= \frac{N_a+N_b}{N_aN_b} \left[ E_a^2 - \frac{2N_aN_bEE_a}{N_b(N_a+N_b)} \right] + \frac{E^2}{N_b} \\ &= \frac{(N_a+N_b)}{N_aN_b} \left[ E_a - \frac{N_aE}{N_a+N_b} \right]^2 +\frac{E^2}{N_b} - \frac{N_a^2E^2}{(N_a+N_b)^2} \end{aligned} [/tex]
And the solution manual reduce this equation to
[tex] \frac{(N_a+N_b)}{N_aN_b} \left[ E_a - \frac{N_aE}{N_a+N_b} \right]^2 + \frac{E^2}{N_a+N_b} [/tex]
I can't get the equality of
[tex]\frac{E^2}{N_b} - \frac{N_a^2E^2}{(N_a+N_b)^2}=\frac{E^2}{N_a+N_b}[/tex]
With [tex]\frac{E^2[N_a^2+2N_aN_b+N_b^2-N_bN_a^2]}{N_b(N_a+N_b)^2}=\frac{E^2(N_a+N_b)N_b}{N_b(N_a+N_b)^2}[/tex] I just cant get both side of the equation to be equal...

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Are there factors that appear both in the numerator and the denominator of your final expression? You can cancel them unless they are equal to zero.

Sorry, what I meant was I can't factor the equation [tex]N_a^2 + 2N_aN_b + N_b^2 -N_bN_a^2 [/tex] to [tex](N_a+N_b)N_b[/tex]

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The error is in completing the square. The last term ##- \frac{N_a^2E^2}{(N_a+N_b)^2}## is incorrect. It should be ## - \frac{N_aE^2}{N_b(N_a+N_b)^2}##. You should check this out for yourself.