Find the MGF of geometric,neg binomial dist.

  • Thread starter Thread starter ArcanaNoir
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Binomial
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 7K views
ArcanaNoir
Messages
778
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement



Find the MGF (Moment generating function) of the
a. geometric distribution
b. negative binomial distribution

Homework Equations



geometric distribution: [tex]f(x)=p^x(1-p)^{x-1}[/tex] where x=1,2,3...

negative binomial distribution: [tex]f(x)= \frac{(x-1)!}{(x-r)!(r-1)!}p^r(1-p)^{x-r}[/tex] where x=r, r+1, r+2...

MGF= [tex]E(e^{tx})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



a. [tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty}e^{tx}p^x(1-p)^{x-1}[/tex]
let [itex]q=1-p[/itex]
[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty}e^{tx}p^xq^{x-1}[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{x=0}^{\infty}(pe^t)q^x[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{pe^t}{1-q}[/tex]
that's as close as I can get to approximating the solution,
but the book says the answer is [tex]\frac{pe^t}{1-qe^t}[/tex]

b. [tex]\sum_{x=r}^{\infty}\frac{(x-1)!}{(x-r)!(r-1)!}e^{tx}p^rq^{x-r}[/tex] where q=1-p
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ArcanaNoir said:

Homework Statement



Find the MGF (Moment generating function) of the
a. geometric distribution
b. negative binomial distribution

Homework Equations



geometric distribution: [tex]f(x)=p^x(1-p)^{x-1}[/tex] where x=1,2,3...

negative binomial distribution: [tex]f(x)= \frac{(x-1)!}{(x-r)!(r-1)!}p^r(1-p)^{x-r}[/tex] where x=r, r+1, r+2...

Those aren't the distributions I'm used to. Are you sure these formula's are correct??

For the geometric distribution, I got

[tex]f(x)=p^x(1-p)[/tex]

and the negative binomial is

[tex]f(x)=\binom{x+r-1}{x}(1-p)^rp^x[/tex]

Could you recheck this first?
 
oh good god. I was looking at point binomial.
so here's what I get now,
[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty}e^{tx}p(1-p)^{x-1}[/tex] letting q= (1-p)
[tex]= \frac{p}{q} \sum_{x=1}^{\infty}e^{tx}q^{x}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{p}{q} \sum_{x=1}^{\infty}(e^{t}q)^x[/tex]
 
ArcanaNoir said:
oh good god. I was looking at point binomial.
so here's what I get now,
[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty}e^{tx}p(1-p)^{x-1}[/tex] letting q= (1-p)
[tex]= \frac{p}{q} \sum_{x=1}^{\infty}e^{tx}q^{x}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{p}{q} \sum_{x=1}^{\infty}(e^{t}q)^x[/tex]

Yes, go on... You have a geometric series right now.
 
the negative binomial I have as being : [tex]\binom{x-1}{r-1} p^r(1-p)^{x-r}[/tex]
which I figured equals : [tex]\frac{(x-1)!}{(x-1-(r-1))!(r-1)!}p^r(1-p)^{x-r}[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{(x-1)!}{(x-r)!(r-1)!}p^r(1-p)^{x-r}[/tex]
 
micromass said:
Yes, go on... You have a geometric series right now.

so, [itex]\frac{1}{1-r}[/itex] ?
[tex]( \frac{p}{q} ) \frac{1}{1-e^{t}q}[/tex] ?
 
ArcanaNoir said:
so, [itex]\frac{1}{1-r}[/itex] ?
[tex]( \frac{p}{q} ) \frac{1}{1-e^{t}q}[/tex] ?

That's the sum of the geometrci series when you start summing from 0. But you start summing from 1 here.
 
but if I sum from zero, won't I have [tex]\frac{p}{q} \sum_{x=0}^{\infty}(e^{t}q)^{x+1}[/tex] oh wait. I see. hold on
 
nevermind. I don't see. am I suppose to have x-1 at x=0 to do the sum?
 
oop, there it is! found the answer to the geometric. thanks for the support on that.
 
ArcanaNoir said:

Homework Statement



Find the MGF (Moment generating function) of the
a. geometric distribution
b. negative binomial distribution

Homework Equations



geometric distribution: [tex]f(x)=p^x(1-p)^{x-1}[/tex] where x=1,2,3...

negative binomial distribution: [tex]f(x)= \frac{(x-1)!}{(x-r)!(r-1)!}p^r(1-p)^{x-r}[/tex] where x=r, r+1, r+2...

MGF= [tex]E(e^{tx})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



a. [tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty}e^{tx}p^x(1-p)^{x-1}[/tex]
let [itex]q=1-p[/itex]
[tex]\sum_{x=1}^{\infty}e^{tx}p^xq^{x-1}[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{x=0}^{\infty}(pe^t)q^x[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{pe^t}{1-q}[/tex]
that's as close as I can get to approximating the solution,
but the book says the answer is [tex]\frac{pe^t}{1-qe^t}[/tex]

b. [tex]\sum_{x=r}^{\infty}\frac{(x-1)!}{(x-r)!(r-1)!}e^{tx}p^rq^{x-r}[/tex] where q=1-p

The negative binomial with parameters p and r is the distribution of a sum of r independent geometric random variables with parameter p. What do you know about the MGF of a sum of independent random variables?

RGV