Find the original speed of the car

In summary, the problem asks for the original speed of a car given that it takes time t to travel one mile and when the speed is increased by 7.7mi/h, the time to travel one mile decreases by 15 seconds. Using the equations v1 = d1/t1 and v2 = d2/t2, where v1 is the original speed, v2 is the increased speed, d1 and d2 are distances traveled in one mile, and t1 and t2 are the corresponding times, we can set up the equation v1 = v2 - (15s/3600s), where 15 seconds is converted to hours. Solving for v1, we get v1 = v2 -
hgducharme

Homework Statement

Driving along a crowded freeway, you notice that it takes a time t to go from one mile marker to the next. When you increase your speed by 7.7mi/h , the time to go one mile decreases by 15s. What was your original speed?

v1 = ?
d1 = 1 mile
t1 = ?

v2 = v1 + 7.7mi/h
d2 = 1 mile
t2 = t1 - 15 seconds

Homework Equations

I'm not sure... We have not covered this in class yet, and we have yet to cover one dimensional kinematics (which is next week). I've seen some equations regarding velocity initial, velocity final, etc., but I don't know how to implement them. The only equations I can come up with are these:

[itex]s_1 = \frac{d_1} {t_1}[/itex]
[itex]s_1 = \frac{1 mile} {t_1}[/itex]

[itex]s_2 = \frac{d_2} {t_2} [/itex]
[itex]s_2 = \frac{1 mile} {t_! - 15 seconds} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I have written on my paper so far:

[itex]\frac{1 mile} {t_1} = \frac{1 mile} {t_1 -15 seconds}[/itex]Edit: Umm, not sure where I went wrong with my LaTeX...?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The combination of [sub]-tags inside TeX does not work, but I'm not sure if that is the only issue.

hgducharme said:
[itex]s_1 = \frac{d_1}{t_1}[/itex]
Is s1 supposed to be a velocity? That would be an unusual variable name, but okay. You know s2 is not the same as s1, and you even know the differences... include that in your equation, and you can solve it for t1 (for example).

mfb said:
The combination of [sub]-tags inside TeX does not work, but I'm not sure if that is the only issue.

Is s1 supposed to be a velocity? That would be an unusual variable name, but okay. You know s2 is not the same as s1, and you even know the differences... include that in your equation, and you can solve it for t1 (for example).

Excuse my ignorance, but am I only able to edit once? I can't seem to find the edit button for my original post?

Yes, I apologize for that, s1 was supposed to be a velocity. I'm going to fully edit my post so the LaTeX will work, make it more clear (e.g. swap out s1 for v1, etc.). I also just found the introductory physics formula thread, and I realize that the formula I need is probably in there. I'm going to see what I can do with one of those formulas.

hgducharme said:
Excuse my ignorance, but am I only able to edit once? I can't seem to find the edit button for my original post?
Just for a fixed time (a few hours). I fixed the codes.

You can make a new post with updates formulas.

Sorry about that.

I would first start by defining the variables in the problem and identifying any known information. In this case, we have:

v1 = original speed of the car
v2 = new speed of the car (v2 = v1 + 7.7mi/h)
d1 = distance traveled (1 mile)
t1 = time taken to travel 1 mile at the original speed (unknown)
t2 = time taken to travel 1 mile at the new speed (t2 = t1 - 15 seconds)

Next, I would try to find a relationship between these variables using equations of motion. Since we are dealing with one-dimensional motion, we can use the equation:

v = d/t

Where v is the velocity, d is the distance traveled, and t is the time taken to travel that distance. We can rearrange this equation to solve for t:

t = d/v

Now, we can apply this equation to both scenarios (original speed and new speed):

For the original speed:
t1 = d1/v1

For the new speed:
t2 = d2/v2

Since we know that d1 = d2 = 1 mile, we can set these two equations equal to each other:

t1 = d1/v1 = d2/v2 = t2

Now we can substitute in the values we know:

t1 = 1 mile/v1
t2 = 1 mile/v2

And we also know that t2 = t1 - 15 seconds, so we can set these two equations equal to each other:

1 mile/v2 = 1 mile/v1 - 15 seconds

We can now solve for v1 by isolating it on one side of the equation:

1 mile/v1 = 1 mile/v2 + 15 seconds

v1 = 1 mile/(1 mile/v2 + 15 seconds)

Now, we need to convert the units to be consistent. We know that 1 mile = 1.61 km, so we can convert the velocity units to km/h:

v1 = (1.61 km)/(1.61 km/v2 + 15 seconds/3600 seconds)

v1 = (1.61 km)/(1.61 km/v2 + 0.00417 km/s)

v1 = (1.61 km)/(1.61 km/v2 + 0.00417 km

1. How do you calculate the original speed of a car?

To calculate the original speed of a car, you need to know the distance the car traveled and the time it took to travel that distance. You can then use the formula: speed = distance / time to calculate the original speed.

2. Can you determine the original speed of a car if you only know the current speed?

No, to calculate the original speed of a car, you need to know both the distance and time. Knowing only the current speed is not enough information to determine the original speed.

3. Is the original speed of a car the same as its average speed?

No, the original speed of a car refers to the initial speed at the start of the journey. Average speed takes into account any changes in speed throughout the journey and is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

4. How does the weight of a car affect its original speed?

The weight of a car does not directly affect its original speed. However, a heavier car may take longer to accelerate to its original speed compared to a lighter car due to the increased mass.

5. Can you use the original speed of a car to determine its stopping distance?

Yes, the original speed of a car is one of the factors that can affect its stopping distance. Other factors include the condition of the road, the tires, and the brakes. To determine the stopping distance, you can use the formula: stopping distance = (original speed)^2 / (2 x deceleration).