1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find the period of the particle and the amplitude

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle moves with SHM through two points p and q 1.2 metres apart. It takes 3 seconds to move from p to q and 3 seconds to move from q to q, i.e. passing q the next time.
    Find the period of the particle and the amplitude.

2. Relevant equations
    x = ACos(wt + a)
    v = w(A^2-x^2)^1/2
    a = -w^2x

3. The attempt at a solution
    I drew a diagram, and tried associated circular motion, but the problem is I have no idea where to start the motion, or if I can take the point half way between p and q as being equilibrium.

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Let O be the equilibrium position, and A and B are the extreme position. The particle takes 1.5 s to go from O to q and 1.5 s to go from q to B. So it takes 3 s to go from O to B. This interval is T/4. Hence T = 12 s.
    If you measure the displacement from the equilibrium, then
    x = Asin(2πt/T)
    Here x = 0.6 m, T = 12 s and t = 1.5 s.
    Now find A.

4. May 14, 2010 #3

ehild

Homework Helper

Are the period and amplitude different if you start to measure the time later or sooner? You can take he phase constant equal to zero, a=0.

ehild

5. May 15, 2010 #4
    It's never specified that it takes 1.5 seconds to go from O to q, just that it takes 3 seconds to gor from q to B to q. How did you come up with this?

Your answers are correct, though.

6. May 15, 2010 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In the problem two quantities are unknown. To find them, you must have two data. One data is time to move from q to q back. If p and q are any two points you cannot use 1.2 m in 3 s data for the solution. The problem is poorly worded.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook