Find the points where the function is not differentiable

In summary, The function given is not differentiable at x = 1, 2, and -1. It is necessary to transform the function into a piecewise function and determine the points where x2-3x+2=0. The book states that 1 and 2 are the only possible points of non-differentiability, with 0 not being a point of concern. -1 is included as a doubtful point because it satisfies the equation x2-3x+2=0.
zorro

Homework Statement

Find the points where the function given by
gif.gif

is not differentiable.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the doubtful points as +-1, 2
How do I check the differentiability now? The mod. function is confusing me a bit.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should transform this function in a piecewize function.

That is, the doubtfull points are those when x2-3x+2=0 and x=0.
Once you've determined these points, you can write your function is piecewise form...

My book says 1,-1,2 are the possible points of non-differentiability.
Can you tell me how -1 is included?
Moreover, 0 as you told would not be a doubt full point as cos(modx) is same as cosx

-1 is not a point of non-differentiability, at least not if you follow my method. Maybe the book uses other methods.

You are correct about 0. Thus 1 and 2 are the only possible points of non-differentiability...

1. What is the definition of a differentiable function?

A differentiable function is a function that has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the slope of the function at any point can be determined by taking the limit of the slope of the function at that point as the distance between two points on the function approaches zero.

2. How can we determine if a function is differentiable at a specific point?

To determine if a function is differentiable at a specific point, we can use the definition of a derivative to calculate the limit of the slope of the function at that point. If the limit exists and is a finite value, then the function is differentiable at that point.

3. What are the common types of points where a function is not differentiable?

The common types of points where a function is not differentiable include sharp corners, cusps, and discontinuities. These points occur when the function has a sudden change in slope or direction, making it impossible to calculate the derivative using the limit definition.

4. How can we find the points where a function is not differentiable?

To find the points where a function is not differentiable, we can look for any points where the function has a sharp corner, cusp, or discontinuity. We can also use the limit definition of the derivative to determine if the function is differentiable at a specific point. If the limit does not exist or is infinite, then the function is not differentiable at that point.

5. Why is it important to identify the points where a function is not differentiable?

It is important to identify the points where a function is not differentiable because these points can help us understand the behavior of the function. They can also help us identify any potential errors in our calculations or assumptions about the function. Additionally, these points can be useful in determining the continuity and smoothness of a function, which are important concepts in mathematics and physics.