Find the potential difference between a and b

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a network with three batteries and five resistors. The goal is to find the potential difference between two points, a and b. One solution method involves using the loop equation and solving for the currents. However, it is suggested that there may be a simpler approach by considering the open circuit of the center battery. The difference between points A and B can be found by subtracting the voltages at each point.
mba444

Homework Statement

A network below consists of with three bat-
teries, each having an internal resistance, and
five resistors.

http://images.upload2world.com/get-6-2009-upload2world_com_vypln.jpg

Find the magnitude of the potential differ-
ence between points a and b. Answer in units
of V.

Homework Equations

i solved it using the loop equation

The Attempt at a Solution

VA-VB= 4*i1+35-i1-7*i1-6*i2-i2-28
VA-VB=7*i3+18+i3+5*i3-6*i2-i2-28
i1=i2+i3

but I am stuck her i don't knowhat to do next

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
following what you've done, you need one extra equation. If you take the first two and substract them, you get 0 on one side, and a linear combination of i1 i2 and i3 on the other, so with the other equation you have in total two linear equations on three variables (i1, i2, i3), so you have infinitely many solutions. you're going to need one extra equation before solving for the currents (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_of_linear_equations#General_behavior).
for that,
write down the "loop" equation for the big loop in the circuit (the big loop being, well, the biggest loop you can make in that circuit, it does not go through a and b so the total voltage difference will be 0.)
Once you solve for the currents, you can get VA - VB from one of the equations you already wrote.

ahaaa

ok thanks for your help i got it now

There seems to be a simpler way of doing this problem.

The centre battery is open circuited isn't it?

So take the current in the outer loop only. 35 volts minus 18 volts and a total of 25 ohms. So the total current is...

Then work out the voltage at point A relative to the right vertical connector.

The voltage at B is available because the centre battery isn't supplying any current. So the resistors in series with it are irrelevant.

The difference between A and B is available by subtraction.

Last edited:

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points. It is a measure of the energy required to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter. The voltmeter is connected in parallel to the two points between which the potential difference is to be measured.

3. What factors affect potential difference?

Potential difference is affected by the distance between the two points, the amount of charge present, and the type and material of the conductor. It is also influenced by external factors such as temperature and humidity.

4. How is potential difference calculated?

The potential difference between two points, a and b, can be calculated using the formula V = W/Q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done in moving the charge from a to b, and Q is the amount of charge moved.

5. Why is potential difference important?

Potential difference is an essential concept in electricity and is used in many everyday devices. It is necessary for the flow of electric current and is the driving force behind the movement of charge in an electric circuit.