1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the radius of a circle from a chord

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    Hi,

Can someone please explain to me how you get the equation:

radius=([tex]\sqrt{c}[/tex]+m2)/2m

c=length of chord

m=distance from midpoint of chord to edge of the circle

I would like to find the radius of the circle from only knowing those two quantities.

I have found the equation on various websites across the web (including http://www.math.utah.edu/~eyre/rsbfaq/physics.html), but I do not know how it was derived.

Thanks,

Lizardjuice7

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

king vitamin

Gold Member

From the link you gave they say the equation is r = ((c^2)/4 + m^2)/(2m), which is very good because that's the answer i just got from solving the problem. (EDIT: I think I see the problem, the link gives c^2/4 without parenthesis so you probably assumed c^(2/4) instead of (c^2)/4)

Draw your circle with a chord and a line from the midpoint of the chord to the opposite side of the circle. Chord is of length c and line bisecting the chord is of length m.

Now draw a line connecting the midpoint of the circle (which is on line m) to one of the corners of the chord. Because line m bisects the chord, this is a right triangle.

Consider the angle theta between the chord and the origin (the angle on your triangle which does not on the origin). Using normal trig relations:

sin(theta) = (m - r)/r
    cos(theta) = c/(2*r)

Now just compute sin(theta)^2 + cos(theta)^2 = 1 and do the algebra!

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    thanks, thats a big help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook