Find the range of acceleration so that the drums won't fall

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
QuantumRose
Messages
11
Reaction score
1
Problem:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19PDuyshgP6u4U9mXU3BfrF031J8wL12B
oil_drums.png

Attempt: I tried to solve the range by listing out the Newton's 2nd laws of each drum
1.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Eslg2Wy3orG41eywwm_O6qN4OQ3QN-bA
and from the equations of the drum 2, I get
N1_N2.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=19MFda8L_YuDBlsOg1_76O3-w1rJjHhfW
Since drum 2 must stay on the bottom drums, so it will not fly up, thus
upper_bound.png

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tpDM2zHyDQ84m73GC0EgcZsNz5Q4tq1z
I got the upper bound of the acceleration, but I don't know if it is correct.My question:
Although I got the seemingly correct upper bound of the acceleration, but I don't know how I can get the lower bound of the acceleration?
 
Attachments
  • oil_drums.png
    oil_drums.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 917
  • 1.png
    1.png
    16 KB · Views: 669
  • N1_N2.png
    N1_N2.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 617
  • upper_bound.png
    upper_bound.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
QuantumRose said:
got the seemingly correct upper bound of the acceleration, but I don't know how I can get the lower bound of the acceleration?
Each bound corresponds to the system falling apart. In which two ways can that happen? What can you say about the normal forces in those two cases?
 
haruspex said:
Each bound corresponds to the system falling apart. In which two ways can that happen? What can you say about the normal forces in those two cases?

Well, I think there are two cases, one is for the upper bound I solved(corresponds to the top drum flying up); the other case is for the lower bound(it corresponds to the situation when the top drum is falling down, i.e. N_1 and N_2 are not enough to support the top drum.)