• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Find the range of acceleration so that the drums won't fall

Problem:

oil_drums.png

Attempt: I tried to solve the range by listing out the newton's 2nd laws of each drum
1.png

and from the equations of the drum 2, I get
N1_N2.png

Since drum 2 must stay on the bottom drums, so it will not fly up, thus
upper_bound.png

I got the upper bound of the acceleration, but I don't know if it is correct.

My question:
Although I got the seemingly correct upper bound of the acceleration, but I don't know how I can get the lower bound of the acceleration?

Attachments

Last edited:

haruspex

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
got the seemingly correct upper bound of the acceleration, but I don't know how I can get the lower bound of the acceleration?
Each bound corresponds to the system falling apart. In which two ways can that happen? What can you say about the normal forces in those two cases?

Each bound corresponds to the system falling apart. In which two ways can that happen? What can you say about the normal forces in those two cases?
Well, I think there are two cases, one is for the upper bound I solved(corresponds to the top drum flying up); the other case is for the lower bound(it corresponds to the situation when the top drum is falling down, i.e. N_1 and N_2 are not enough to support the top drum.)