1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the ratio of the electrostatic force

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1
    This is the problem:
    "Determine the ratio of the electrostatic force to the gravitational force between a proton and an electron, FE/FG. Furthermore, note the mass of an electron is 9.109 x 10^-31 kg and the mass of a proton is 1.672x10^-27 kg.G and K are constants."

I'm not exactly sure what formulas to use and what to plug in. thanks for the help! ^_^

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2
    Well, you only need to use two formulas. What is Coulomb's law for the force between two charges? And what is Newton's law for the force of gravity between two masses? I suppose they ought've taught you that, otherwise you wouldn't be given a problem like this.
    Also, the problem should state that the elemental charge is 1.6*10^-19C.

4. Jul 5, 2010 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would say that the textbook should state this somewhere, in which case it's not necessary to state it in every problem that involves protons or electrons. Sometimes a student is expected to look things up. Quite likely, the value is given in the inside front or back cover, as well as somewhere in the chapter this problem came from.

5. Jul 6, 2010 #4
    Well, it gave the mass of the proton and electron... I just thought that the elemental charge falls in the same category as those do, but I might be wrong. What you said can be applied to the masses as well, a student should be able to look them up too.

6. Jul 6, 2010 #5

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook