Find the real and imaginary part of sin(4+3i)

  • Thread starter Thread starter tatiana_eggs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Imaginary
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 15K views
tatiana_eggs
Messages
69
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the real and imaginary part of sin(4+3i)

Homework Equations



sinx = [tex]\frac{e^z - e^(-z)}{2i}[/tex]

cosx = [tex]\frac{e^z + e^(-z)}{2}[/tex]

sin(iy) = i[tex]\frac{e^y - e^(-y)}{2}[/tex]

cos(iy) = [tex]\frac{e^y + e^(-y)}{2}[/tex]

various trig identities

The Attempt at a Solution



So I used sin(x+y) trig identity and got
sin4*cos3i + sin3i*cos4

I turned them all into exponents using the appropriate equations stated in (2).

I got to a point where nothing is really calculable by hand/head. Is there an easier way to do this or does the calculator need to be used at a certain point to calculate the real part(terms grouped w/o i) and the imaginary part (terms grouped with i).

If so, then I guess I need help getting the terms grouped together to calculate the real and imaginary parts.

Where I am stuck is at:

[tex]\frac{e^{3+4i}+e^{-3+4i}-e^{3-4i}+e^{-3-4i}}{4i}[/tex] +
[tex]\frac{e^{3+4i}-e^{-3+4i}+e^{3-4i}-e^{-3-4i}}{4}[/tex]

(the two fractions should be added together)

Now what should I do with all these lovely exponents? Should I have even gone this route?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
tatiana_eggs said:

Homework Statement



Find the real and imaginary part of sin(4+3i)

Homework Equations



sinx = [tex]\frac{e^z - e^(-z)}{2i}[/tex]

cosx = [tex]\frac{e^z + e^(-z)}{2}[/tex]

sin(iy) = i[tex]\frac{e^y - e^(-y)}{2}[/tex]

cos(iy) = [tex]\frac{e^y + e^(-y)}{2}[/tex]

various trig identities

The Attempt at a Solution



So I used sin(x+y) trig identity and got
sin4*cos3i + sin3i*cos4

I turned them all into exponents using the appropriate equations stated in (2).

I got to a point where nothing is really calculable by hand/head. Is there an easier way to do this or does the calculator need to be used at a certain point to calculate the real part(terms grouped w/o i) and the imaginary part (terms grouped with i).

If so, then I guess I need help getting the terms grouped together to calculate the real and imaginary parts.

Where I am stuck is at:

[tex]\frac{e^{3+4i}+e^{-3+4i}-e^{3-4i}+e^{-3-4i}}{4i}[/tex] +
[tex]\frac{e^{3+4i}-e^{-3+4i}+e^{3-4i}-e^{-3-4i}}{4}[/tex]

(the two fractions should be added together)

Now what should I do with all these lovely exponents? Should I have even gone this route?
Now use [itex]e^{3+ 4i}= e^3cos(4)+ i e^3sin(4)[/itex], etc.
 
That was just the hint I needed, Halls. Thanks! Finally got it.