Find the slope of the secant to the curve f(x)=-3logx+2 between these points:

In summary, the question was too long to post in the title so I just wrote down the first part. I hope this is alright. Here is the question that I am doing right now:This is the graphical representation (thanks to Desmos Graphing Calculator):So I have substituted the points in the equation to get their respective y-values.For example:f(1.1) = -3log(1.1)+2f(1.1) =~ 1.87I've done the questions myself using this method to find the slope of the secant line, and I wanted confirmation that I was doing it right.----------------------------------
Vela1
The question was too long to post in the title so I just wrote down the first part. I hope this is alright. Here is the question that I am doing right now:

6beccca94bb60e9bef8dc95118c2936f.png

This is the graphical representation (thanks to Desmos Graphing Calculator):

34d481e2a7da1543a815be27e3c5b703.png

So I have substituted the points in the equation to get their respective y-values.
For example:

f(1.1) = -3log(1.1)+2
f(1.1) =~ 1.87

I've done the questions myself using this method to find the slope of the secant line, and I wanted confirmation that I was doing it right.

----------------------------------

I've written it on paper and unfortunately I don't have a scanner so I will just type out (i) and (ii) to show my rationale.

4.a)

i] m = (Y2-Y1) / (X2-X1)
= (1.097-2) / (2-1)
= -0.903 / 1
m = -0.903

ii] m = (Y2-Y1) / (X2-X1)
= (1.472-2) / (1.5-1)
= -0.528 / 0.5
m = -1.056

------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to know if I was doing it correctly, and if not how can I answer this question? Thanks in advance.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your example shows you're using $\log(x)=\log_{10}(x)$. If so, it appears your first one is correct; I didn't bother to check the second, as it's analogous. Looks fine to me!

OK, thank you. I just have one more question:

ec9f656f7a6a93b490aa2642ed779350.png

This is the second part to question #4. I wanted to do it myself before I confirmed my answer here.

Here are my steps:

I found the derivative of the initial equation: f(x) = -3log(x)+2

The derivative was: f(x) = (-3) / (ln[10] x (x))

So I substituted 1 for x, and the answer I got was -1.303. I rounded it to 3 decimal places. Is this the correct method, or is there another way?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you are doing fine. I think what I would do is recognize all four questions are the same except for one parameter, $\Delta x$. So I would derive a formula into which I could then just plug into. In other words, work the problem once instead of four times.

The slope is given by:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{\Delta f}{\Delta x}=\frac{f\left(x+\Delta x \right)-f(x)}{\Delta x}\)

Now, using the given definition of $f(x)$, we may write:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{\left(-3\log\left(x+\Delta x \right)+2 \right)-\left(-3\log\left(x \right)+2 \right)}{\Delta x}=\frac{3\log\left(\frac{x}{x+\Delta x} \right)}{\Delta x}\)

With $x=1$, there results:

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{3\log\left(\frac{1}{1+\Delta x} \right)}{\Delta x}\)

a) \(\displaystyle \Delta x=1\)

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{3\log\left(\frac{1}{1+1} \right)}{1}=-3\log(2)\approx-0.903\)

b) \(\displaystyle \Delta x=\frac{1}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle m=\frac{3\log\left(\frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{2}} \right)}{\frac{1}{2}}=6\log\left(\frac{2}{3} \right)\approx-1.057\)

Now just plug-n-chug for the remaining two. :D

The formula we derived will be very useful in answering part b). Let $\Delta x$ get smaller and smaller until two successive results agree to 3 decimal places. Or, as you did, you can use calculus, but I suspect you are not expected to be able to differentiate.

I can confirm that your method for finding the slope of the secant line is correct. You have correctly substituted the given points into the equation and used the formula for slope to calculate the values. Your answers for both (i) and (ii) are correct. However, it is always a good idea to double check your work and ensure that your answers make sense in the context of the graph. In this case, the negative slopes make sense as the curve is decreasing from left to right. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the formula for finding the slope of a secant line?

The formula for finding the slope of a secant line is (f(x2) - f(x1)) / (x2 - x1), where x1 and x2 are two points on the curve and f(x) is the function.

2. How do I determine the points on the curve for finding the slope of the secant line?

You can determine the points on the curve by choosing two values for x, such as x1 and x2, and plugging them into the given function. The resulting y-values will be the points on the curve.

3. What does the negative sign in the function represent?

The negative sign in the function represents a reflection over the x-axis. This means that the graph of the function will be upside down from its original position.

4. Can I use any two points on the curve to find the slope of the secant line?

Yes, you can use any two points on the curve to find the slope of the secant line. However, the accuracy of the slope will depend on the distance between the two points. Closer points will result in a more accurate slope.

5. What does the slope of the secant line tell us about the curve?

The slope of the secant line tells us the rate of change of the function between the two points on the curve. It represents the average rate of change over a specific interval and can give insight into the behavior of the curve at that interval.