Slope of a curve and at a point

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 2K views
yecko
Gold Member
Messages
275
Reaction score
15

Homework Statement


http://i.imgur.com/In40pGm.png
In40pGm.png

Answer: C

Homework Equations


f'(x)=slope=(y1-y2)/(x1-x2)

The Attempt at a Solution


I can't even list a valid formula for that...
like I tried to integrate f'(x), but f(x) is with y so I don't think I am thinking in the right direction.
What are the steps in order to get the correct answer?
Thank you very much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It is a plane curve? If it is ## y=f(x)## so you can write ##\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)^2}=\frac{1}{x^3}## and integrating both members you will find the equation of ##f(x)## ...
Ssnow
 
yecko said:

Homework Statement


http://i.imgur.com/In40pGm.png
View attachment 200123
Answer: C

Homework Equations


f'(x)=slope=(y1-y2)/(x1-x2)

The Attempt at a Solution


I can't even list a valid formula for that...
like I tried to integrate f'(x), but f(x) is with y so I don't think I am thinking in the right direction.
What are the steps in order to get the correct answer?
Thank you very much.
Solve the differential equation
$$\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y^2}{x^3}$$
The general solution ##y(x)## will contain an unknown constant ##c##, whose value can be obtained by using the given condition ##y(1) = 1##.
 
I know that (1,1) is for solving the constant. however, i can't find the equation.
f'(x)=y^2/x^3
y=f(x)=y^2/x^2*(-1)+c
This equation seems unreasonable...
can you help me in this?
thanks
 
You must integrate the differential equation with the separable variables method ..
 
Like what integration method? I can't think of any seems applicable..
Any suggestion? Thanks
 
You have to rewrite the differential equation so all the x's are on one side and all the y's are on the other. Then you can integrate each side.
 
Solve the two integrals ##\int \frac{dy}{y^2} =\int \frac{dx}{x^{3}}+c##, you will obtain something as ##y(x)= ...(x)+c##...
Ssnow
 
Ssnow said:
∫dyy2=∫dxx3+c
how does this come?
vela said:
You have to rewrite the differential equation so all the x's are on one side and all the y's are on the other. Then you can integrate each side.
y'=f'(x)=y^2/x^3
y=f(x)=y^2/x^2*(-2)+c
1/y=1/x^2*(-2)+c
you mean like this? or have I calculated anything wrong?
 
You can't go from 1/y = 1/2x2 to y = 2x2 + C. It must be 1/y = 1/2x2 + C. You add the integration constant in the integration step, not after any subsequent manipulations. Then y = 2x2/(1+2Cx2).
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ssnow
thank you for all of your help
i can finally solved it
 
Yes, as @mjc123 said you must put the constant ##C## after the second integration and consider it in all algebraic passages...

Ssnow