Slope of a curve and at a point

In summary, the person is struggling to solve a homework problem and asks for help. They say that they can't solve it and ask for advice on how to proceed.
yecko
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/In40pGm.png
In40pGm.png

Answer: C

Homework Equations

f'(x)=slope=(y1-y2)/(x1-x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't even list a valid formula for that...
like I tried to integrate f'(x), but f(x) is with y so I don't think I am thinking in the right direction.
What are the steps in order to get the correct answer?
Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a plane curve? If it is ## y=f(x)## so you can write ##\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)^2}=\frac{1}{x^3}## and integrating both members you will find the equation of ##f(x)## ...
Ssnow

yecko said:

Homework Statement

http://i.imgur.com/In40pGm.png
View attachment 200123
Answer: C

Homework Equations

f'(x)=slope=(y1-y2)/(x1-x2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't even list a valid formula for that...
like I tried to integrate f'(x), but f(x) is with y so I don't think I am thinking in the right direction.
What are the steps in order to get the correct answer?
Thank you very much.
Solve the differential equation
$$\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{y^2}{x^3}$$
The general solution ##y(x)## will contain an unknown constant ##c##, whose value can be obtained by using the given condition ##y(1) = 1##.

I know that (1,1) is for solving the constant. however, i can't find the equation.
f'(x)=y^2/x^3
y=f(x)=y^2/x^2*(-1)+c
This equation seems unreasonable...
can you help me in this?
thanks

You must integrate the differential equation with the separable variables method ..

Like what integration method? I can't think of any seems applicable..
Any suggestion? Thanks

You have to rewrite the differential equation so all the x's are on one side and all the y's are on the other. Then you can integrate each side.

Solve the two integrals ##\int \frac{dy}{y^2} =\int \frac{dx}{x^{3}}+c##, you will obtain something as ##y(x)= ...(x)+c##...
Ssnow

Ssnow said:
∫dyy2=∫dxx3+c
how does this come?
vela said:
You have to rewrite the differential equation so all the x's are on one side and all the y's are on the other. Then you can integrate each side.
y'=f'(x)=y^2/x^3
y=f(x)=y^2/x^2*(-2)+c
1/y=1/x^2*(-2)+c
you mean like this? or have I calculated anything wrong?

From ##\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{y^2}{x^3}## you treat formally ##dx## and ##dy## as certain ''quantities''. Algebraically you can separate ##x## from ##y## obtaining

##\frac{dy}{y^2}=\frac{dx}{x^3}##
after you can integrate both members ...
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_variables
Ssnow

You can't go from 1/y = 1/2x2 to y = 2x2 + C. It must be 1/y = 1/2x2 + C. You add the integration constant in the integration step, not after any subsequent manipulations. Then y = 2x2/(1+2Cx2).

Likes Ssnow
thank you for all of your help
i can finally solved it

Yes, as @mjc123 said you must put the constant ##C## after the second integration and consider it in all algebraic passages...

Ssnow

Is it a problem of RSM?

What is the definition of slope of a curve?

The slope of a curve is a measure of how steep the curve is at a particular point. It is the rate of change of the curve at that point, and is typically represented by the slope of the tangent line to the curve at that point.

How is the slope of a curve calculated?

The slope of a curve can be calculated using the derivative function. In simple terms, it is the change in the output divided by the change in the input. In more technical terms, it is the limit of the slope of a secant line as the two points on the curve get closer and closer together.

What does a positive slope of a curve indicate?

A positive slope of a curve indicates that the curve is increasing at that point. This means that as the input increases, the output also increases.

What does a negative slope of a curve indicate?

A negative slope of a curve indicates that the curve is decreasing at that point. This means that as the input increases, the output decreases.

How is the slope of a curve used in real-world applications?

The slope of a curve is used in many scientific and mathematical fields to analyze and model various phenomena. It is particularly useful in physics, engineering, and economics to understand the rate of change of different variables. It is also used in data analysis and forecasting to predict future trends.