Slope of Secant Homework: y=x^2+x, P(1,2) & Q(2,6)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the slope of the secant and tangent lines for the curve y = x^2 + x and the point P(1,2). The correct slope for the secant line at Q(2,6) is found to be 4, while the slope of the tangent line at P is found to be 5. The process for finding the secant line is explained, and it is noted that the slope of the secant approaches the slope of the tangent as the difference between the points gets smaller. A visual representation is also provided to aid in understanding.
physphys

Homework Statement

1. For the curve y = x^2+ x, and the point P (1,2)
a) determine the slope of the secant mPQ if Q(2, 6)
b) what is the slope of the secant if Q is at the following values of x
1.5 1.1 1.01 1.001
c) Estimate the value of the tangent to the curve at P. Reason?

Homework Equations

Y'= f(x+h)-f(x)
------------
h

The Attempt at a Solution

If i plug in the numbers into the y' equation i would get

y' = (2+h)^2 + 2 + h - 6
---------------------
h
which is h^2 + 5
and then h-> 0 so h = 5

I'm not sure if that is right, because isn't slope Δy/Δx ? and doing that would give me 4.
and when I use the slope function 2x+1, at point 2, 2(2)+1 = 5.
So I'm very confused between the difference in finding out the tangent line or the secant line. If you can just show me how to find the secant line in a) i can figure out b) on my own. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
physphys said:

Homework Statement

1. For the curve y = x^2+ x, and the point P (1,2)
a) determine the slope of the secant mPQ if Q(2, 6)
b) what is the slope of the secant if Q is at the following values of x
1.5 1.1 1.01 1.001
c) Estimate the value of the tangent to the curve at P. Reason?

Homework Equations

Y'= f(x+h)-f(x)
------------
h

The Attempt at a Solution

If i plug in the numbers into the y' equation i would get

y' = (2+h)^2 + 2 + h - 6
---------------------
h
which is h^2 + 5
and then h-> 0 so h = 5

I'm not sure if that is right, because isn't slope Δy/Δx ? and doing that would give me 4.
So I'm very confused between the difference in finding out the tangent line or the secant line. If you can just show me how to find the secant line in a) i can figure out b) on my own. Thanks!

Your answer of 4 for part a is correct.

If you draw a sketch of the curve y = x2 + x, and draw the tangent line at (1, 2) and the secant line between (1, 2) and (2, 6), that should help your understanding.

You could think of the secant as the average slope, which you get from rise/run=4/1=4, which you did correctly.

With lim h->0 (f(x+h)-f(x)) / h, you are calculating the slope of the tangent line at f(x). So, when you calculated y', you found found the tangent at point P.

For b, you would do the same thing as in a. secant=(f(1.5)-f(1))/0.5, (f(1.1)-f(1))/0.1, and so on. What you should find is that as the difference gets smaller (0.5->0.1->0.01 etc), the value of the secant approaches the value of the tangent (that is, it should get closer and closer to 5).

Hope that helps.

physphys said:

250px-Tangent-calculus.svg.png

250px-Secant-calculus.svg.png

(Pulled these images off Wikipedia.)

Notice how the secant line is the line connecting two points. In this case, the secant line between (1,2) and (2,6) would have slope Δy/Δx.

The slope of the tangent line at a point P is the slope of the secant line PQ as Q approaches P (while being on the curve.) In this sense, the tangent line's slope is independent of the value of (2,f(2)).

Okay understood! thanks to all for your help!

What is the formula for finding the slope of a secant line?

The formula for finding the slope of a secant line is (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are two points on the line.

How do I find the coordinates of P and Q in the given equation?

The coordinates of P and Q in the given equation are (1,2) and (2,6) respectively. This is because the equation is in the form of y=x^2+x, and when x=1, y=1^2+1=2 and when x=2, y=2^2+2=6.

What is the significance of the points P and Q in this problem?

The points P and Q represent two points on the graph of the given equation. P(1,2) is the point where x=1 and Q(2,6) is the point where x=2. These points are used to calculate the slope of the secant line.

How do I calculate the slope of the secant line using the given points?

To calculate the slope of the secant line, we use the formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1), where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the given points. In this case, we have (x1,y1)=(1,2) and (x2,y2)=(2,6). Substituting in the formula, we get (6-2)/(2-1)=4/1=4 as the slope of the secant line.

What does the slope of the secant line represent?

The slope of the secant line represents the average rate of change between the two points on the graph. In this case, it represents the average rate of change of the function y=x^2+x between the points P and Q.