Find the speed of the boat relative to the current

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
setonhall3000
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
edit: woops I messed up the title. It should have been relative to the shore.

Homework Statement


A boat’s speed in still water is 1.95 . The boat is to travel directly across a river whose current has speed 1.10 . Determine the speed of the boat with respect to the shore

Homework Equations


I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution


I thought it would be a sqauared plus b squared is equal to c squared. a being the speed of the boat in still water, b being the current and c being the speed with respect to the shore. This however does not give the right answer
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When it says 'directly across', I think it means the boat is to finish directly across from where it started. How is that to be achieved?
 
boat crossing river

The boat have to steer at an angle in order go right across the river.
 
Attachments
  • boat in river.jpg
    boat in river.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 583