1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Sum of this Alternating Series

1. Oct 29, 2014 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the sum of
    starts at 0 to infinity ∑ (cos(k*pi))/pi^k

First, I determined that it does, indeed, converge with the alternating series test.
    Second, I found the answer to be pi/(1+pi) via wolfram alpha.

But I am at a loss on how to find the answer here.

This is a geometric series, so I am trying to find the r value. If I can do that, then I can use the trick of first term/(1-r)

Correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2014 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

It might be helpful to write the series without the cosine factor. All it contributes is +/- 1 each time.

4. Oct 29, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why don't you just divide the ##k+1## term by the ##k## term to get ##r##?

5. Oct 29, 2014 #4

RJLiberator

Gold Member

So, with cos(k*pi) out, that would leave 1/pi^k. Therefore 1/pi^k = r? Hm.

k+1 term? Ok, let me try what I think you are saying:

k+1 term = value of 1, so k=1 and therefore cos(1pi)/pi^1 = -1/pi and the original k =0 term = cos(0pi)/pi^0 = 1. So, (-1/pi)/1 = -1/pi.

Hm, so if r = -1/pi then we can plug that into the first term/(1-r) equation, lets see:
    First term = 1
    (1-(-1/pi) = 1+1/pi
    1/(1+1/pi)

If you multiple everything by pi, to simplify you get the answer of pi/pi+1 which is the correct answer.

Why did this work? Is there a trick I am not thinking of?

Thank you all. It seems I may have made a mechanical error with Mark44's suggestion. LcKurtz, do you know the definition/term of what you suggested so i can research it?

6. Oct 29, 2014 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No it's not. ##\frac{\pi}{\pi} + 1 = 2##.

I'm being picky, but you need parentheses like you used in your first post here. IOW, like this: π/(π + 1).

7. Oct 29, 2014 #6

RUber

Homework Helper

## \cos k \pi =(-1)^k ## so you would have ##\sum_k \left(\frac{-1}{\pi}\right)^k ##
    Mark44's suggestion should have led you to the same conclusion for r.

8. Oct 29, 2014 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A geometric series looks like $$
    \sum_{k=0}^\infty ar^k$$where ##r## is the common ratio. The ##k+1## term is ##ar^{k+1}## and the ##k## term is ##ar^k##. When you divide them you get the common ratio ##r##, no matter what ##k## is. What you did is divide the ##k=1## term by the ##k=0## term. That doesn't tell you anything unless you already know it is a geometric series. What you did gave you the correct ratio because it is in fact a geometric series, but the correct way to get the ratio and show it is a geometric series is divide the ##k+1## term by the ##k## term and observe you always get the same answer.

9. Oct 30, 2014 #8

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Excellent analysis, friends. I appreciate the words. Quite frankly, I am getting addicted to this series math.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted