1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the surface of the generated volume

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The region bounded by the graphs of the curves y=4√x , y=0, x=5, x=12 is revolved about the x-axis.
    a) Find the religion lateral surface area of the generated volume.
    b) Find the total surface area of the generated volume, including both ends.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Part a:
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/kZIjTDFGufXqICfEMW2J0CpXFuQ8-OfRJlg91DQJRWZlCpsiCzfND45AYeYCfasTzAUca7ZFa9k=w1256-h843

Part b:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jguorhs3qoad_UbPduGEyBG79Y9WVLG0vPzC4YV6Y1sTNV-gbxczDdBbPKr-G5jIH3wO0g=w1256-h843

Thank you so much for taking time.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You have a mistake in the integral on the next to the last line of your first page. The radius is y, not x. Also, you have a typo where you wrote ##y = \frac 2 {\sqrt{x}}##. That should have been y', the derivative.

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3
    The formula for arc length is ##2\pi\int{y\sqrt{1 + (y\prime)^{2}}\ dx}## which using that, I got that the arc length is ##8\pi\int{\sqrt{x+4}\ dx}##. The radius r changes with x! :wink:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  5. Mar 11, 2015 #4
    I'm sorry. The question is correct. 2/√x is the derivative of 4√x.

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5

Mark44

Yes, I understand that. My comment was that you wrote ##y = \frac 2 {\sqrt{x}}## when you should have written ##y ' = \frac 2 {\sqrt{x}}##

More importantly, your integral is wrong. It should be
    ##2\pi \int_5^{12} y\sqrt{\frac{x + 4}{x}}dx##

7. Mar 11, 2015 #6
    Why is the radius y? I thought the radius is x or (x-5), I'm not not so sure though.

8. Mar 11, 2015 #7
    For a given x the cross-sections of the solid you're interested in are circles whose centre is at x & whose radii are ##4\sqrt x##.

9. Mar 11, 2015 #8

Mark44

The curve is being rotated around the x-axis, so the radius is y.

10. Mar 11, 2015 #9
    Oh yes, you're right. So I have to change the whole equation then.
    I really appreciate your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted