1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the time of a certain velocity

1. Mar 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A time-dependent force, F = 8i – 4tj N, is exerted on a 2.00 kg object initially at rest. a) At what time will the object be moving with a speed of 15 m/s? b) How far is the object from its initial position when its speed is 15 m/s? c) Through what total displacement has the object traveled at this moment?

2. Relevant equations
    F = ma
    vf = v0 + at

3. The attempt at a solution

I took the mag of the F which is sq(80) = ma so: 8.9 = 2a, therefore a should be 4.47.
    Then I used vf = vo + at. It is at rest so vo = 0 so: 15 = 4.47t, t = 3.35 and it is incorrect. Can someone please tell me what I did wrong? thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since the force, and thus the acceleration, is time-dependent, you can't use formulas that only apply for constant acceleration. Hint: Use a bit of calculus.

4. Mar 7, 2009 #3
    What I did was integrate the force vector to get <8t, -2t^2> = 2a but I still have two unknowns.

5. Mar 7, 2009 #4

Doc Al

(You mean = 2v.) The only unknown is the time. (Find the magnitude of that velocity vector.)

6. Mar 7, 2009 #5
    Ok tell me if this will work: F = ma so a = F/m so a = <4, -2t>. v = <4t, -t^2> but speed is the mag of velocity so 15 = sq(16t^2 + t^4). So 225 = 16t^2 + t^4 which gives me four roots one of them being 3. Is this good?

7. Mar 7, 2009 #6

Doc Al

Perfecto!

8. Mar 7, 2009 #7
    Great thanks. But now I am having a bit of trouble with the position. It is asking me for the vector here so I split it up into components.
    For x I get xf = xi + vxit + 1/2(ax)t^2 which is xf = 0 + 4t(t) + (1/2)4t^2 at t = 3 gives 54
    For y I get yf = yi +vyit + 1/2(ay)t^2 which is yf = 0 + (-t^2)t + (1/2)(-2t)t^2 at t = 3 is -54. They give a number for the answer so I should mag the vector and I get 76.4 but it is incorrect. Please?

9. Mar 7, 2009 #8

Doc Al

Same issue as before: Don't try to apply constant-acceleration formulas when the acceleration is not constant. Same advice as before: Use calculus.

10. Mar 7, 2009 #9
    But I have already done the calculus. I am just using the v and a that I had before and just plugging them in. I really don't understand why this doesnt work.

11. Mar 7, 2009 #10

Doc Al

You used calculus to find the velocity; now use it to find the displacement.
    Because the acceleration is not a constant over the interval from t = 0 to t = 3 seconds. So those kinematic formulas do not apply.

12. Mar 7, 2009 #11
    I do not know any other formulas that give me a position. Could you give me a little bigger hint?

13. Mar 7, 2009 #12

Doc Al

Sure. Just like a = dv/dt, v = dx/dt.

14. Mar 7, 2009 #13
    Thanks. Just curious. Since the kinematics do not apply, what would we do if we were given an initial velocity and an initial position?

15. Mar 7, 2009 #14

Doc Al

Whenever you integrate, you'll have constants of integration. The initial conditions will determine those constants.

For example, since the object is initially at rest, you know that at t = 0, v = 0. And since all we care about are displacements from the initial position, we can say that at t = 0, the object is at x = y = 0.

16. Oct 26, 2011 #15
    For the first part how do you get 225 = 16t^2 + t^4?

17. Oct 27, 2011 #16

Doc Al

See post #5. To go from a to v, integrate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook