1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the time at which the object changes direction

1. Aug 3, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object starts from rest and uniformly acquires a velocity of 20.0 m/s in 5.0 minutes. For the next 10. minutes the object moves with a constant speed. After 10. minutes moving at 20. m/s the object then again accelerates and reaches a speed of 15 m/s in the opposite direction in 3.0 minutes time.

Calculate the time at which the object changes direction

2. Relevant equations
    y=mx+b
    v=d/t

3. The attempt at a solution
    made velocity time graph. tried to find the equation y=mx + b. already knew that slope + -.19 unknown what b is and i found that velocity = 0 when time is at 1005.275 seconds however it said this was wrong. I am very confused and jumbled. Unsure how to find displacement since it crosses the x axis and moves into negative.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2017 #2
    Could you post image of your graph ?

I am getting value of time which is slightly lesser than what you are getting .

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  4. Aug 3, 2017 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you calculated the acceleration did you get a figure of -0.194444m/s^2. If so don't round it down to -0.19m/s^2 for the next step as that seems to account for your slightly different answer to the one I get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted