1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Time period using First Integral

1. Jul 30, 2016 #1
    Recently I lend the Classical mechanics book written by Goldstein from the library, In the last page, someone scribbled this problem without any solution, I am just curious and want to give a try the problem mentioned below. I just want to know whether my approach and my solution is correct or not.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Time period of the particle confined to the Potential energy of the form $V(x)=-\frac{V_{0}}{\cosh^2(\alpha{x})}$.

2. Relevant equations
    $$\int_{0}^{t_0}dt=\int_{x_0}^{x}\frac{dx}{\sqrt{\frac{2}{m}(E-V(x))}}$$
    Where $'E'$ is the Total Energy
    and $'m'$ is the mass of the particle

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since the potential energy is negative, the total Energy required to escape from the potential is zero, i.e, $E=0$,
    The Potential diagram is attached with this thread, as we can see, the potential goes to 0 as $x$ goes to $\infty$
    or $-\infty$, If I take one half of the Potential say from $0$ to $\infty$ and substituting in the above integral becomes,

$$\int_{0}^{\frac{T}{2}}dt=\sqrt{\frac{m}{2V_0}}\int_{0}^{\infty}cosh(\alpha{x})dx$$

Apparently the right hand side goes to infinity. And the time period of the particle confined also goes to infinity. Am I right? I solved the problem but I don't know whether my solution is correct or not. Is there any mistake in my solution?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you take E = 0 there is no classical turning point and the motion is not periodic. In order to have a periodic solution you need to assume a bound state with E < 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted