1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the total electrostatic energy stored in the configuration

1. Oct 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spherical conductor of radius ##a## carries a charge ##q## and also there is a jelly of constant charge density ##\rho## per unit volume extending from radius a out to radius ##b##. Find the electrostatic energy stored in the configuration.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{a}=\frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0}##
    ##U=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2}\int E^2 d^3r##

3. The attempt at a solution
    We first find the electric field.
    ##\oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{a}=4\pi r^2##
    ##Q_{enc}=\int_a^r 4\pi r'^2 \rho dr'+q=\frac{4\pi}{3}(r^3-a^3)\rho+q##
    So then,
    ##E=\begin{cases}
    0, r<a& \\\
    \rho \frac{(r^3-a^3)}{3r^2 \epsilon_0}+ \frac{q}{4\pi r^2\epsilon_0} \hat{r}, a<r<b\\
    \rho \frac{(b^3-a^3)}{3r^2 \epsilon_0} +\frac{q}{4\pi r^2\epsilon_0} \hat{r}, b\le r
    \end{cases}##
    Then
    ##E^2=\begin{cases}
    0, r<a& \\\
    \rho^2 \frac{(r^3-a^3)^2}{9r^4 \epsilon_0^2}+ 2q \rho \frac{(r^3-a^3)}{12 \pi r^4\epsilon_0^2}+\frac{q}{16 \pi^2 r^4 \epsilon_0^2}, a<r<b\\
    \rho^2 \frac{(b^3-a^3)^2}{9r^4 \epsilon_0^2}+ 2q \rho \frac{(b^3-a^3)}{12 \pi r^4\epsilon_0^2}+\frac{q}{16 \pi^2 r^4 \epsilon_0^2}, b\le r
    \end{cases}##
    Now,
    ##U=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int_a^b (\rho^2 \frac{(r^3-a^3)^2}{9r^4 \epsilon_0^2}+ 2q \rho \frac{(r^3-a^3)}{12 \pi r^4\epsilon_0^2}+\frac{q}{16 \pi^2 r^4 \epsilon_0^2})4 \pi r^2dr+\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \int_b^\infty (\rho^2 \frac{(b^3-a^3)^2}{9r^4 \epsilon_0^2}+ 2q \rho \frac{(b^3-a^3)}{12 \pi r^4\epsilon_0^2}+\frac{q}{16 \pi^2 r^4 \epsilon_0^2}) 4 \pi r^2dr##

So far, have I done everything correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, your expression for the electric field is non-sensical. It should be
    $$\vec{E}=\begin{cases}
    0 & r<a \\
    \left[\rho \frac{(r^3-a^3)}{3r^2 \epsilon_0}+ \frac{q}{4\pi r^2\epsilon_0}\right] \hat{r} & a<r<b \\
    \left[\rho \frac{(b^3-a^3)}{3r^2 \epsilon_0} +\frac{q}{4\pi r^2\epsilon_0}\right] \hat{r} & b\le r
    \end{cases}.$$ The way you wrote it, ##\hat{r}## only multiplies the last term, and you'd be adding a scalar to a vector, which doesn't make sense.

4. Oct 10, 2014 #3
    Yeah I forgot about the parentheses. Have I done everything else right?

5. Oct 11, 2014 #4
    can i get some help?

6. Oct 12, 2014 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Yes, it looks like you're doing okay setting up the integrals.

7. Oct 12, 2014 #6
    Do you think there could've been an easier method? I know there's the other equation ##U=\int \rho V d^3r##, but I felt that it would be just as tedious being that I would still need to find the electric field to get ##V##.

8. Oct 12, 2014 #7

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I don't think you'll be able to avoid messy integrals either way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted