Find the total work done on an object on a ramp if the force is at an angle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
misplaced1
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A box is dragged 16 m across a level floor by a 75N force at an angle of 35 degrees to the floor . It is then dragged by the same force 8m up a ramp inclined at an angle of 20 degrees to the floor. Determine the total work done by the force.

Homework Equations



W= F(d)Cosθ

The Attempt at a Solution



Part 1

W= (75)(16)Cos(35)
W= 982.98J

Part 2

I am not sure how to do this part, because θ is defined as being the angle between the force and the displacement. Where does the ramp fit in? Should I take the force of gravity perpendicular to the ramp (the normal force) and add that to the vertical component of my applied force?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Find the angle between the applied force and displacement along the ramp. The ramp is inclined at 20 degrees to the floor, the force is at 35 degrees to the floor, what is the angle between the force and ramp?

ehild
 
Thank you for your help. I think that I was over-thinking the question. It really is so much simpler than I was making it out to be.