1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the velocity of a particle from the Lagrangian

1. Aug 19, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following Lagrangian of a relativistic particle moving in a D-dim space and interacting with a central potential field.

$$L=-mc^2 \sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}} - \frac{\alpha}{r}\exp^{-\beta r}$$

Find the velocity v of the particle as a function of p and r.

2. Relevant equations

Lagrange's Equations of motion

$$\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{dL}{dv})= \frac{dL}{dr}$$

3. The attempt at a solution

$$\frac{dL}{dr} = \frac{\alpha \exp^{-\beta r}(r+1)}{r^2}$$
    $$\frac{dL}{dv} \equiv p = \frac{mc^2 v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}$$
    $$\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{mc^2 v}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}) = \frac{\alpha \exp^{-\beta r}(r+1)}{r^2}$$

I am not sure what to do next. If I try to differentiate the left side I get

$$mc^2 \dot{v}(v^2(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^{-\frac{3}{2}} + (1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^{-\frac{1}{2}} ) = \frac{\alpha \exp^{-\beta r}(r+1)}{r^2}$$

Which seems very hard to integrate.. Any ideas to find v easier?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Think about the first integrals! There is one very obvious from the fact that [itex]L[/itex] is not explicitly dependent on time.

Further it is important to write out everything in one set of generalized coordinates and their time derivatives. Either you use Cartesian coordinates and
    [tex]\vec{v}=\frac{\mathrm{d} \vec{x}}{\mathrm{d} t}, \quad r=\sqrt{\vec{x} \cdot \vec{x}},
    [/tex]
    or you write everything in spherical coordinates [itex]r, \vartheta,\varphi[/itex]!

4. Aug 19, 2013 #3
    Since the [itex]L[/itex] is not explicitly dependent on time [itex]\frac{dL}{dt}=0[/itex]. I cannot see the obvious :(

I will try to redo my work with generalised coordinates and see if I makes it clearer.

5. Aug 19, 2013 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

No! The Hamiltonian,
    [tex]H=\vec{x} \cdot \vec{p}-L,[/tex]
    where
    [tex]\vec{p}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\vec{x}}}[/tex]
    is the canonical momentum of the particle.

6. Aug 19, 2013 #5
    Now I am confused. Should I use Hamiltion's equations then if I use the Hamiltonian? [itex]\dot{q}=\frac{dH}{dp}[/itex]?

7. Aug 21, 2013 #6
    No, use the Lagrangian, just make sure you are using only one set of generalized coordinates. I would use Cartesian.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted