• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Find the velocity using special relativity

• Thread starter Qazzy03
  • Start date
[SOLVED] Find the velocity using special relativity

According to observations on the Earth, the nearest star to the solar system is 4.25 light years away.
A space ship which leaves the Earth and travels at uniform velocity takes 4.25 years, according to the ship-borne clocks, to reach the star.
What is the speed of the space ship, expressed as a fraction of the speed of light c?

Ux = (U'x + v)/(1 + v*U'x/c^2)
We know that: x = 4.25 light years
t' = 4.25 years
c = constant.

I have been stuck on this question for nearly a week, and i was hoping someone could give me a push in the right direction. Now i know about time dilation and length contraction and that they will be seen differently between the two frames. Thats why i don't suggest that the v of the ship is equal to c.
I have also tried to rearrange the equation using Lorentz transformations, however in most cases i need gamma which means i need v.
Any suggestions would be a great help, Thanks.

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Pick one frame to work from. The simplest is earth. The time in this frame that the ship takes is 4.5*v/c years, yes? Now put the the gamma factor (leaving v as unknown) to get the elapsed ship time. Set it equal to 4.5 years and solve for v.

Thank you for the help, i now see how it works and i am able to solve v.