1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the velocity using special relativity

1. Apr 4, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Find the velocity using special relativity

According to observations on the Earth, the nearest star to the solar system is 4.25 light years away.
    A space ship which leaves the Earth and travels at uniform velocity takes 4.25 years, according to the ship-borne clocks, to reach the star.
    What is the speed of the space ship, expressed as a fraction of the speed of light c?

Ux = (U'x + v)/(1 + v*U'x/c^2)
    We know that: x = 4.25 light years
    t' = 4.25 years
    c = constant.

I have been stuck on this question for nearly a week, and i was hoping someone could give me a push in the right direction. Now i know about time dilation and length contraction and that they will be seen differently between the two frames. Thats why i don't suggest that the v of the ship is equal to c.
    I have also tried to rearrange the equation using Lorentz transformations, however in most cases i need gamma which means i need v.
    Any suggestions would be a great help, Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pick one frame to work from. The simplest is earth. The time in this frame that the ship takes is 4.5*v/c years, yes? Now put the the gamma factor (leaving v as unknown) to get the elapsed ship time. Set it equal to 4.5 years and solve for v.

4. Apr 4, 2008 #3
    Thank you for the help, i now see how it works and i am able to solve v.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?