1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the voltage at point X on the circuit

1. Jan 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Here is the circuit:
    Loop.jpg

I have found I1 to be -39.23A, I2 to be -25.38A, but I'm having difficulty reasoning how to find the voltage of point X.

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is what I tried. I calculated Req for the entire system by V/I = 2.039. Since there is already a 2 ohm resistor in the first loop, the system can be reduced to one loop with the 2 ohm resistor and a 0.039 resistor in place on the 3 ohm. Now "X" is between this 0.039 resistor and the 2 resistor, so using Kirchoff's law I found that X has a voltage of 78.46 or 1.54. Does this seem logical? I have to admit I'm grasping for straws here.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2010 #2
    The "earth" symbol at bottom left means that point in the circuit is taken as zero volts for reference purposes.
    The voltage at X is simply, then, the pd between X and the earth point.
    One way you can find it is from the emf of the 80V battery and the pd across the 2 ohm resistor.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  4. Jan 15, 2010 #3
    Thanks, that sounds like a much simpler way of doing what I did!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook