Find the volume of the pie dish

  • Thread starter Thread starter Painguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 8K views
Painguy
Messages
118
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A pie dish is 9 inches across the top, 7 inches across the bottom, and 2.4 inches deep. See the figure above. Compute the volume of this dish. Give your answer correct to 2 decimal places.

8-2-25alt.gif

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



y=2.4
x=+-3.5, +-4.5

I'm unsure what to do from here. I'm assuming we are rotating about the y-axis.
y=4.5x/3.5-2.98571

∫pi(3.5/4.5(y+2.98571))^2-pi(4.5)^2 dy

I'm not entirely sure what to do. The above expression is obviously wrong, but that's all I could come up with. What exactly am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Painguy said:

Homework Statement


A pie dish is 9 inches across the top, 7 inches across the bottom, and 2.4 inches deep. See the figure above. Compute the volume of this dish. Give your answer correct to 2 decimal places.

8-2-25alt.gif

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



y=2.4
x=+-3.5, +-4.5

I'm unsure what to do from here. I'm assuming we are rotating about the y-axis.
y=4.5x/3.5-2.98571
How did you get this?

Have you drawn a sketch of the region that will be rotated?

Assuming that the bottom of the pan is on the x-axis, find the equation of the line between (3.5, 0) and (4.5, 2.4). That line will be the right boundary of the region.
Painguy said:
∫pi(3.5/4.5(y+2.98571))^2-pi(4.5)^2 dy

I'm not entirely sure what to do. The above expression is obviously wrong, but that's all I could come up with. What exactly am I doing wrong?