1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the volume of the solid revolved around a region

1. Dec 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid generated by revolving the region bounded by the graphs of y2=4x, the line y=x, about
    A) x=4
    B) y=4

So first I start out by graphing it
    FwU0Q.png

The intercepts are at 0,0 and 4,4

I use the washers method since there is a gap in between the line and the rotated solid, making a space in the middle of the solid

The washers method says V= ∏∫ ([R(x)]2 - [r(x)2) where R(x) is the largest(outer) area, and r(x) is the smallest(inside) area. This is for rotating about the x axis but can be used to rotate around the y axis. However, this isn't rotating about either of these axis; rather, it's rotating around x=4 which is what I am having trouble with.

So boundaries are 0 to 4, equation is ∏∫([y2/4]2 - y2)dy but this is wrong. How would I do it correctly? Is cylindrical shells a better method? If I was using cylindrical shells, would it be 2∏∫(2√x - x)(x) since I use ∫ 2∏(shell height)(shell radius) Also I'm a bit confused on how I would do part B

Any help would be great, thanks.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2012 #2
    For part B, also using the cylindrical shells method, would the proper integral be 2∏∫(y - y2/4)(y)

4. Dec 10, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nice picture. For the first one, if you are rotating around x=4, then wouldn't the inner radius be 4-y and the outer radius be 4-y^2/4? The radii should be distances to the axis of rotation.

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4
    Ah I see, that makes sense, thank you. Is what I posted above (2∏∫(2√x - x)(x) for x=4, 2∏∫(y - y2/4)(y) for y=4) correct for cylindrical shell method?

6. Dec 10, 2012 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Same problem. I think you have the lengths of the shells right, but you don't have the radius right. You aren't rotating around 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook